Wednesday, October 5, 2016

It is Wednesday afternoon after a busy morning. In about an hour we need to be at the churches and get our admin work done for the week; running the bulletins, setting the churches up for Sunday services, and the sticking around for choir practice. Such is life for a couple more months anyway.

As I told you, I had a funeral to do this morning. It was fairly well attended; maybe fifty people or so. That isn't a bad attendance for a ninety seven year old person, especially one who has been in a nursing home for several years. But, this lady was still fairly active and the family was well liked. There were several people there from her church, (well, actually it's also my "home church" too)  that I knew. The family was very satisfied with the service which is my goal everytime I do a funeral.  But --- today was a first for me. I had done almost all of the service and was down to the Benediction. The entire time I was standing there doing the service, there had been a couple of gnats flying around my podium because I was standing next to aa n arrangement of lilies. Just as I opened my mouth to give the benediction --- a danged gnat flew straight into my mouth and throat, causing me to choke and gag!  I overcame it but my voice through the benediction sounded like I was choking, which I partly was. I have never had anything like that happen before and I hope not have it happen again.

We went to the funeral home yesterday afternoon for the visitation. We had thought about going to the Fall Festival and grabbing something to eat but there we're literally thousands of people already there and we didn't want to have to go find a parking spot for five dollars somewhere and then get in the middle of all of those people. One of the things I wanted was a kuchen from one of the booths. Well, the church that was selling those is less than two miles from my house and on the way to and from anywhere we go. I texted one of the folks I know front that church and asked if they were selling the kuchen at the church too and he said yes. So on the way to the funeral this morning I stopped and picked up a cherry kuchen and a couple of cinnamon mini-kuchens from the church. I tried one of the mini-kuchens when I got home and I thought it was just what I wanted it to be.

Ms. Kate and I did make it to the movie last night and watched The Magnificent Seven with Denzel Washington. As I told people on Facebook today, it was a great remake film and I think much better than the older version. I'll buy the CD when it comes out and watch it again a time or two.

I just finished my nap and Ms. Kate is now awake from hers so I guess we better think about putting myself back in gear and getting busy again. It's not too late to wish you a good day though and that is what I do. Have a peaceful evening. Shalomn.

No comments:

Post a Comment