Thursday, January 21, 2016

There is one squirrel; flipping his tail at the rest of the world as if to brag that he got to the feeders first this morning. That is about the biggest activity in the back yard this morning. Beyond that, --- it is Cardnalville out there, I think I counted eighteen in all. They are not particularly at the feeders but mainly just siting in the trees and bushes at the moment. One lonely downy woodpecker is eating some bark butter paste. But; it is about the time of the morning when everybody will be coming in and the air will be a blur of activity.

The world is of course still snow covered and will remain so for a while. We are expecting the second of the snow storms tonight. This one seems to be highly unpredictable and also seems to be a major threat to much of the country. Our forecasters say the models are all over the place in trying to predict what is going to happen. Last night one of our weather guys said that "the region" looks to get anywhere from a dusting to a foot of snow. It will be what it will be of course and we'll just deal with the aftermath. I just offer prayers for those who have to be out in this whether they be workers or homeless. I pray the homeless will find shelter and a warm bed.

I did get to the church yesterday in time for my meeting/counseling session and I got the bulletins run for Sunday. Hopefully this storm stuff will be over for the weekend. We are having the winter congregational meeting at my St. Lucas church this Sunday. It had to be rescheduled because of the bad weather from two weeks ago. Also, I'm doing a wedding vows renewal as part of my worship service this week at St. Paul's. It is interesting that the couple chose this week to ask if I would do this because my sermon this week is on "Being in Covenant". I believe that marriage is, --- or at least should be, -- our best earthly example of being in covenant with one another.

As predicted, the birds are all starting to come in now. Cardinals, goldfinches, house finches, titmouse, nut hatch, wood peckers, mockingbirds and junkos are all here. The only ones missing were the chickadees and the starlings and two starlings just showed up to join the mix. Oh, and I forgot; my wrens haven't been around yet this morning  either.  Yesterday as I sat here, there was a starling out there eating from a suet feeder when suddenly a huge hawk swooped down and took it right off of the feeder. It happened so close that the Hawk's wing actually hit the window as it came in for the attack. It's timing was perfect and done with precision. It was pretty amazing to watch. Needless to say, the feeders wee deserted for a while.

So now, we just wait to see what wonders and blessings the day will bring. God is always doing something wonderful and for some unknown reason, I seem to benefit from his glory. It's not like I deserve it or earned it. But, I certainly give Him praise and thanks for it.  I hope you feel the benefits of God's marvelous touch today. If you do, or even if you don't, take time to say a prayer of gratitude and lift someone else up. I have just lifted you up in my prayers and I hope you feel better knowing that someone has prayed for you today. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment