Monday, January 11, 2016

Happy 18 degrees! But, the sun is shining and the cardinal clan is here this morning for breakfast and a drink. They look absolutely brilliant out there on the bird bath having their morning refreshment. I had to go out and add water to the electric bird bath this morning. I should have maybe emptied it because it is scuzzy on the bottom with the crap that blows in and that the birds carry in. But there is enough ice out there on the sidewalk  that I don't need to add to it.

Yesterday morning we had to cancel church because of the weather and treacherous roads, and we certainly weren't the only ones. Most of the churches in the area cancelled way before we did. So, I took the time to have my coffee and watch my yard full of birds. I must have had 50 - 60 birds out there all trying to get food. The air was a blur with the birds darting back and forth. We had a hawk in the mix and at least three times it hit my glass doors chasing another bird. But --- eventually Mr. Hawk got his breakfast as he nailed a starling.

I had gotten up at 0600 and went out and shoveled out half of my driveway so we could not only get out but also back up my steep driveway after church was over. I had heard nothing from the church councils so I needed to be ready. I came back in an hour later (yeh, it took an hour for just half of the driveway), poured a cup of coffee and finally called a council member of one of the churches to see if any decisions had been made. They were in discussions with one another at the time but finally decided to cancel. So, I finished my coffee, watched my birds, and then called neighbor Dan and asked if he would help me swap out tthe mower deck for the snow blade on the John Deere. He was glad to help out. Dan and I got the switch out done, and put on the new "Terra-Treds" for extra traction. After that it was fun time. I got both of our drives cleaned off in fairly short order. I usually do the street and hill in from of our houses too but they were just ice due to the rain that had preceded our snow and super temperature drop.

This morning I took Ms. Kate to her doctor's appointment and then we stopped at McDonalds for a bite of breakfast.  Now we're are back home and I need to get to my computer and get started. But, the coffee is good, my music is nice, and the winter picture outside my sunporch is beautiful. As much as I don't like snow; I have to admit that God certainly paints a beautiful picture when it does snow. It fits in with what I can partially imagine the brilliance and purity of Heaven must be like. When I look at a snow covered scene like there is out my door, it is as if God had wiped away all of the touches of humans and put out a fresh canvas. If "peace" had a color; --- this is what it would look like.

I hope you have a most blessed day. As cold as it might be outside of your door, the love of God will keep you warm. I pray for any and all of those who don't have a warm home to be in this morning. I'm not only talking about the "homeless" that we see on the street corners, but also all of those who have lost homes dues to the recent flooding and other storms. Unfortunately we too soon forget that these people are still suffering long after the disaster. Keep them in your prayers and if you can help --- do so. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment