Monday, January 25, 2016

It is absolutely nuts outside my sun porch this morning. I'm sitting here in the middle of multiple flocks of birds. There is a flock of about fifteen starlings, and another forty or so black birds, another 8-10 robins and a half dozen cardinals; and they are all fussing and fighting over feeders that are empty such as the bark butter feeders. I walked out side and looked at my roof and their was another dozen or so robins up there hopping around too. They are in and out of the birdbath and taking baths and splashing water everywhere. There is a squirrel hanging on to a seedcake feeder dodging angry starlings and the place is a chaotic whir of wings and beaks and noise this morning. And, it isn't just here. As I look across the yards through the barren trees, almost every yard has the same kind of thing going on. It is a scene right out of "The Birds". Even more interesting is the fact that all of a sudden they all take off at once and fly up into the trees. Then they sit there for a few minutes and slowly start flying back down to the ground. It's fun to watch. It's obviously a migration of some sort and I'll have to refill every feeder by this afternoon.

Yesterday was a successful day at the churches. During my early service, (St. Paul's) we did a wedding vows renewal ceremony for a couple celebrating their fifteenth anniversary. They had gotten married at a courthouse originally and had asked me if I would do the ceremony because they really wanted a "church wedding". It was beautiful. The "bride" cried and that made the husband tear up and that made the congregation tear up too. It was magic. After my late service, (St. Lucas) we had a lunch at the church and then the second of our congregational meetings. We got several things accomplished and agreed upon in what I consider a record amount of time. This meeting had been postponed due to a snow storm earlier in the month.

This week promises to be a busy week with end of the month reports due, extra meetings with our local Tri-State Association of the church and a funeral on Thursday with visitation on Wednesday. I'll have to miss choir practice this week due to the visitation and association meeting. In between there I'll have the bulletins to run and the monthly newsletter. It all just takes time. Unfortunately I have a sciatic nerve thing going on in my back and I'm moving a lot slower this week. I didn't need that to happen.

But --- the sun is shining brightly and the temperature is just warm enough to melt some of the snow; so, I give God praise for a sunshiny day. And remember the birds from paragraph one ------ they are all gone. There isn't a bird in sight anywhere. God sure created a strange and wonderful world. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment