Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A happy snow covered Wednesday to you. The weatherman got it exactly right. We got about three inches of the white stuff last night. It is currently 25 degrees which is a little better than it was an hour and a half ago when I went out.It was 18 degrees then. I got up early this morning and it was just barely light out. It wasn't that early, (0630), but the clouds are thick enough to make it look dark. I went out at 0715 and started clearing the driveways. I got our driveway, Dan's driveway and landing, and the hill and street in front of our houses cleared. Folks shouldn't have any trouble getting up our hill this morning now. Those new "Terra-treads" really work well in the snow. This was a "wet snow" which means it was pretty heavy to push around. But my JD handled it. My neighbor Darrel has a John Deere lawn mower too but it is a smaller one than mine. He bought a blade for his too but it just doesn't work as well as mine. I still may have to get myself a bigger JD though. I work this little work horse pretty hard. We are expecting another snow storm tomorrow night. This one could have rain and sleet and snow all mixed. That could be a bit more of a challenge to clean up.

Of course I have a lot of birds out here this morning. I filled all of the feeders yesterday afternoon and I also picked up another 80 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds. They didn't have fifty pound bags this time but had forty pound bags instead and they cost the same as the fifty pound bags did the last time I bought some. I think I got the short end of the stick. It's like buying a gallon of ice cream. The price is the same but the carton is much smaller. I bought a new suet feeder yesterday. It mounts to the Windows via suction cups. I haven't seen any users to it yet but they will eventually discover it.  A few minutes ago I had a slew of birds out there so I got my phone and was going to film it. But --- they all suddenly left and now haven't returned yet. It figures.

It's Wednesday and that means church day. I have a meeting with a fellow at 1500 and we also need to run the bulletins today. Then choir practice is tonight. I guess we'll see if the ladies want to come out tonight or not. I don't blame them if they don't but we really need the practice time for the cantata.

I send out prayers for the family of a former parishioner this morning. He was killed in a farming accident somehow yesterday when a tree fell on him. I don't know more than that but I always worry about out farmers. So often they push themselves beyond their capabilities. For any of my readers that have never lived or worked on a farm, I'll be the first to tell you that farming can be a dangerous business sometimes. You have to maintain situational awareness at all times or you'll get hurt badly and quickly. I have several "three-fingered and stubby-fingered" friends because they took their eyes off of what they were doing.

The first squirrel has shown up and it is trying to figure out how to get to the feeder without getting in the snow. He jumped the five feet from the tree to the pole but slid right down into the snow. Now it is back on the tree trying to figure it out. They eat my food but they are fun to watch.

Time for more coffee so I'm signing off. Stay warm, Love your neighbor, think good thoughts. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Love the post, wanted to share my snow and church story. I have volunteered each year to shovel at the church, and this year someone donated a snow blower to the parish. I absolutely am hooked on these little machines. Did the work of 5 people in an hour. Now we take turns and let each other rest when the snow hits.

    Kristina Cobb @ Dennys Lawn

    ReplyDelete