Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Wednesday morning, 66 degrees, and raining. That is a recipe for a lot of things isn’t it? Book reading, writing a sermon, calling parishioners, playing my keyboard, bingeing on Star Trek Discovery or Picard, or just lazing around are all possibilities. Ms. Kate is busy making cards again for another round of “Thinking of You” to our parishioners. They are really appreciated and she has gotten so many comments about them. They are great.

I’m glad it is raining today. The new plants that I have put in the ground this past week need it. I planted four okra plants to replace the other two that had just died. Hopefully these will do well. The cucumber plant is looking good. I do need to hoe around it though. The weeds are getting too high. I also think that I am going to remove the buckets from around the tomato plants. I always start them by putting a five-gallon bucket around them to keep the rabbits from eating them. I cut the bottom of the bucket out so they get plenty of rain and sunshine. Normally I just leave the bucket on them but I think that maybe the bucket conducts a bit more heat than they really need. The stalks are always more spindly than I want them to be. So, I’ll try a different tactic this year. They are doing well at the moment. We have a couple of pots of cherry tomatoes on the patio and they have blooms on them already.

I finished up this weeks sermon and service last night and now I’m ready to start on next weeks sermon. I’m hoping that the weather is great on June 7th so we can have our “tent meeting” service out side. If not, oh well, we’ll just do what we did before all of the shuttering of the church, I’ll do two services and we’ll press on. I read an article this morning on Facebook that was depicting what church services may be like when we return and it was the most depressing thing I have ever read, and I said so too. If that article becomes reality, there is no way people are going to want to ever enter a church door. Believe me, I fully understand the precautions and “guidance” by all of the “Learned Clergy Leadership” of the denominations. But all I hear is “It’s not time yet. You’re putting people in danger. You’re not showing love for your fellowman. You’re just killing people.” So my question is; “When is it time?” This virus is never going to be eradicated totally so do we just bulldoze the buildings and never go back? Or do we dictate that our parishioners become robots that come to the church building in single file, take our assigned seat and sit silently six or more feet apart while the pastor speaks in a muted voice behind his mask giving his sermon, and then we march back out of the church in single file, go directly to our car and leave. All of this might sound like a rant, but it was the prediction stated in this Facebook article by a California pastor.

Enough for today. Have a wonderful week. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment