Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Tuesday afternoon and it is a cloudy “thinking about being warm” day. Ms. Kate and I had an early morning appointment for her at the doctor for a routine visit and while we were there we both got our flu shots for the season. It was time. People are already starting to claim they have the flu although in most cases it most likely doesn’t amount to more than a cold. Not that it matters a lot; either way you feel crappy.

After the doctor’s visit we went to breakfast and called my sister-in-law to come join us which she did. We went to “Nellie’s” one of my favorite places. They have a great breakfast as well as other  meals but I can eat breakfast any time of the day. I had some delicious pancakes covered with bananas, blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream. After breakfast I had to go to Wild Birds Unlimited and pick up some more safflower seed for the Cardinals.

YesterdayMs. Kate. And I joined Julie, Jim and their friend Karen at the Louisville, KY zoo. They have a baby elephant that has grown enough to be viewable by the public for a few hours each day. I have told you before that if there is such a thing as a “spirit animal”, the elephant is mine. We got to the zoo and Julie, Kate and I rented electric scooters to get around. There would have been way too much walking had we not done so. That little elephant is about as cute as it can get. It sticks right beside it’s mama most of the time and imitates the things that she does. But it did take off once and run around with it’s trunk up in the air and it’s ears flapping in the breeze. After our disastrous news last week with the former son-in-law passing away, we needed a day like yesterday. It put some joy back in our hearts.  After the zoo, we went to PF Chang’s  for lunch and then headed home.

I am free to tell you this news now, after the first of the year, I’ll be changing jobs —- again. I am currently the interim co-pastor at Zoar UCC, my “home church” and have been for the past two years.    In November of 2016 I had “retired” from pastoral work because I felt I was no longer being an effective pastor to the Parish that I was serving. I had been there twelve and a half years and just was looking at burnout. So I retired. After a couple of months rest I began to know that God still had work for me to do. In October of 2017 the Interim Pastor at my church came to e and asked if I would come be his co-pastor as the church continued to search for a settled pastor. There had been rumors that our search committee was closing in on a candidate and should be hiring one shortly. So I quickly said yes to the interim co-pastor job. That was two years ago and I’m still there. In January of this year the pastor that had replaced me at my former parish announced that he would be retiring at the end of 2019. They formed a search committee there and began their search. t some pot in their search, they asked me if there was anyway I would consider returning to the Parish as the settled pastor. After much prayer, I said yes. Bureaucracy of the denomination requires that a “trial sermon” be given  so that all of the church members can vote as to whether to accept the candidate or not. Sunday I gave my trial sermon  and was accepted for the job, I’m told by unanimous vote of the parish. Today I sent notice to my current church that I will not be re-contracting with them and will be moving once again. I am thrilled to be returning to such a warm and loving faith family. Being asked to serve as pastor in my home church was a prayer and dream answered by God. Being asked to return to my former parish to once again serve them as their spiritual leader is just blessings upon blessings. God just continues to heap blessings on me and I totally deserve none of them. So, my friends, keep me in your prayers as I again step off in to another journey. Peace.


1 comment:

  1. There are no words to describe the feelings that came over me when you walked out with your robe on and I realized you were there for the "trial sermon". My heart is happy to have you and your wonderful family back in our parish. April

    ReplyDelete