Monday, October 14, 2019

Monday afternoon and we are still at Lisa’s house. We have had a wonderful visit since we got here and the vacation is going to be over way too early for us but all wonderful things must come to an end at some point and we must return to reality and work. I’m always glad to be back at the church and doing the job I love, but visiting with my family is a blessed thing. 

Had a great evening yesterday. Lisa fixed a great meal and then we had fresh apple pie and we froze a freezer if homemade ice cream. Every body had already eaten their tummies full at lunch time and then supper wasn’t that late. But, the pie and ice cream went over well. I had a piece of ape pie for breakfast today and then had a serving of ice cream for a snack when I got home from our running around today. 

I’m going to miss doing my daily task here at Lisa’s house. She has one chicken that runs around her yard and it lays one egg a day generally. I have enjoyed going out to the little coop that they have for the chicken and collecting that egg. It is reminiscent of the days and or occasional weeks that I spent at my grandma’s house and I always went out with her to gather the eggs. It used to scare me when I did it the first few times because they would peck at me. But I learned to shoo the hens off of the nest and gather the eggs with out too much problem. Those days are full of fond memories. My Grandma Rath was a busy person all of the time. I’d help her as she went out and took a long hooked chicken catcher and she would hook a chicken by the leg and grab that chicken by the neck and wring it’s her off before the chicken even knew it. Then, she had a five gallon lard bucket full of water that was boiling of an open wood fire and she would stick that chicken down in it for a few minutes and then we would “pluck” the chicken’s feathers off. She would take me fishing with a cane pole in the strip mine pits and we would catch blue gill. She was always up to something. 

My Grandma Heumann, on the the other hand, was the sedate one. She mostly sat in her recliner. She was one of the sweetest woman I’ve ever known. I remember her dinners the most because she almost alwys made roast beef with browned potatoes and carrots and a bowl of peas. 

We’re heading home in the morning and will get there on Wednesday sometime. So, if you don’t hear from me. For a couple of days, just know that I pray you nothing but good things and blessings from God Almighty. Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment