Saturday, October 19, 2019

A blessed Saturday morning to you. It is a chilly 40 degrees outside but the sun is shining through a partly cloudy sky. It will warm today to about 70 degrees. So, we are in for a pleasant day.

I’m sitting here watching the squirrels play in the trees. The neighbors trees. All of the trees in my yard and the neighboring yards are large enough that their branches intermingle. It makes for a very large “squirrel highway” or playground, depending on their mood I guess. They go from tree to tree chasing one a another and fighting. It is quite entertaining. This morning I absolutely must fill the bird feeders. They still have food out there that they are “making do” with but if I’d fill the feeders, they would be very much happier and I think I would draw in a larger crowd. Of course, the first in would be the danged starlings and blackbirds. This morning my guests are several cardinals and a couple varieties of woodpeckers. One lone goldfinch sits out there eating thistle seed. It is time to empty out the hummingbird feeder. The temperature has not officially reached freezing yet but I’m sure our hummingbirds have packed their suitcases and headed for Arizona. Hopefully when they return next April they will bring lots of friends.

We had a wonderful visit with Ms. Brenda and her dad, Mr. Bob. Brenda's husband was out on the combine harvesting soybeans. He had wanted her to run the tractor and disc yesterday but she had enough other things to do, including meeting Ms. Kate and me for lunch, so she left him on his own. Ms. Kate and I bought a pig from them and it will be delivered to the butcher shop on the 30th of this month; —- “Trick or Treat” little piggy. LOL It will be great to have a freezer full of meat. The hog should weigh in around 250 pounds. I don’t know the loss is when butchered but that will still provided a lot of pork chops, sausage, ham, and tenderloin. I think I have mentioned that I prefer pork to beef although a good steak every now and then or some good ground beef is pretty good too.

Tomorrow is Sunday and it is my Sunday to preach. I suspect that the crowd will be a bit small. One of our members is getting married in another state and her family will all be gone. The girl’s grandmother is also my Sunday school teacher so I told her that I would handle teaching the class. It will be a busy day. That reminds me that I need to read our lesson today and prepare for the class. I hope you wil take the time and go to church tomorrow and give thanks to God for any and all blessings that you have received this week. You know, I think most of us go from day to day with out considering what all God has made possible in our lives. So, we need to sit an hour aside to do that. And, I’m convinced that if we can do that with others it makes the event much more special. So, I urge you to attend a house of worship this weekend. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment