Thursday, August 22, 2019

Rain, rain, go away. We don’t really need you today. Welcome to a rainy Thursday morning. It has been raining on and off all week. We’ll have “showers” like we are right now that are light but persistent, and then we’ll have thunder and lightening and heavy rain. All of this started the other day when we lost power  for nine hours. Ever since then it has either been stifling heat and humidity or raining. We are supposed to have our worship service outside this coming Sunday but we decided yesterday at the staff meeting to keep it indoors. The “corn flies” have been persistent too and that makes it really uncomfortable.

The feeders are empty at the Backyard Buffet. But the rain and wet yard and mud keep me from walking around out there. So, my guests will have to remember that they are wild birds after all and not my houseguests. I was riding my recumbent bike Tuesday and watching the dang black birds and starlings out there on the suet. They waste so much of it and any other feed that they go after. They peck hard at the suet and more falls down on the ground than they actually eat I think. I can’t tell because of the flowers whether other birds then clean up the ground clutter. I suspect that the cardinals do because they are as much ground feeders as they are from the feeders. And the wrens and sparrows and finches are always digging and scrambling and scratching around too. So, while unintended, maybe the nasty starlings etc. are helping the other birds out.

Today is my sister-in-law Karen’s seventy fifth birthday. I don’t know why I find that so significant but I do. I reached my 75th birthday in July and it seems like something that should be celebrated. Three quarters of a century is a long life. And frankly, my health is good enough to go another decade I think. I want to do a small celebration though. I have a bottle or two of wine that is as old as I am and I see no reason not to pull the cork on it. If my accident taught me anything this year, it is to live live to the fullest. So, she and I need to make a decision when we are going to celebrate together. I’m thinking I want Bob and Brenda to share in the celebration. Brenda loves a good wine and Bob has reached 88 years old now I think. We’re meeting them tomorrow for our Schrooms and Beer day. I’m looking forward to that.

I guess it is time to sign off of here and either get another cup of coffee or get on the Bike to Nowhere and maybe crank out five miles or so. I have about decided that I’m going to keep it at five miles. That is forty minutes of exercise and I don’t really need to be doing anymore than that. So, while I make that decision, (I’ll probably get more coffee) you go out there and have yourself a blessed day full of the Lord’s goodness. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment