Monday, July 16, 2018

Good morning! Let's begin a whole new week together shall we? We are having another one of our weather alert days for heat and humidity. But what can we expect --- it is mid July. If this weather is good for anything at all, it sure is making the corn grow. Our friend Bob gave us a dozen ears of sweet corn last week and it is so sweet and delicious that I could sit and eat a half dozen ears all at once. Of course then I'd have to pay the consequences. We have been getting sweetcorn from Bob for years and have put up hundreds of bags of his sweetcorn in the freezer. I think though that we are about out and Bob is getting past the age to be out there planting and tending a garden. He has always put out at least two dozen tomato plants and this year he only put out four. That is all because his wonderful wife, Ms. Georgia Ann, passed away last year. We really miss her.

So how was your weekend? We didn't do a whole lot other tan the typical stuff like an occasional visit to the grocery store, go out to eat a couple of times, and go to church. We are so very mundane and unexciting. I did fill the bird feeders once and now they have to be filled again. Saturday I cut open a watermelon and we shared half of that. I had the idea that I would put the hull out on the patio and possibly it would attract some more butterflies. Well, it attracted a lot of flies, --- but no butterflies, so I took it over and threw it into the compost pile. one of thee days I need to take the fencing down from around the compost pile and get a lot of that good dirt that has been maturing out of there and spread it around on the garden and the flowerbeds. I last did that maybe five years ago so by now I should have some good compost under there. That is pure gold to a garden. If I had to actually buy it, it would cost a pretty penny. But instead, all I have to do is take the garbage out and put it in the bin. That sounds like a job for a nice cool fall day.

We had seventy six in church yesterday which is a good attendance, especially for summer. I know we have some folks heading out on vacation again this week for several weeks. But others are returning and we have had a steady flow of visitors and that keeps the numbers up. I love it when our folks feel good enough about their church to want to invite people to come and worship with them. I think we must be doing something right.

The squirrels were running all over the roof this morning and up and down the trees and feeder  poles. Most of their feeders are empty so I think they are trying to get my attention. I'll get to them this afternoon. In the mean time they can get their fuzzy butts down on the ground and clean up all of the seed that they knock out of the feeders. I have office hours this morning so they will just have to wait.

Time for work. I hope you have a marvelous day. Take time to count your blessings and give thanks for everyone of them. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment