Saturday, June 3, 2017

Happy Saturday morning. It is a warm on; -- 70 degrees and going up to 90 today or so it says on my Accuweather app. I have lots of small birds here this morning; sparrows, house finches, and gold finches. A robin came in and took a bath in one of the bird. Baths while a blackbird sat in the other taking its bath. I run a good hotel/spa and buffet here. They still haven't finished off the sunflower feeders so I'm just waiting until they do to refill them.

I got the mulberry bushes cut down to ground level yesterday out there in the raspberry patch. When the raspberries are done putting on berries, I'll cut them back some and then maybe I'll be able to take a grubbing hoe to those mulberry bushes. It's not terribly pleasant work because the black raspberry, as opposed to the red raspberry has a lot of tiny thorns that snag you when you work in the bushes. It's not that it hurts all that much, but rather that they cling to you. However, they aren't nearly as bad as a berry that we grew when I was a kid. It was called a "Heath Berry". My father started them from somebody. They must have been a hybrid because I've never heard of anybody else raising them.  They grow into enormous bush and have terrible half inch thorns on them. The thorns grow back toward the bush so that they entangle you when you reach in. The berries are large and delicious but you definitely pay a price in skin picking them. To top it off, the wasps love them. So you not only get your arms torn up picking the berries, but you had to constantly watch for big red wasps. I love a good heathberry cobbler with some ice cream on it; ---- But I'm not sure it was worth the trouble. My sister and brother-n-law took several starts of them when they got married and put up with them but I never would have.

I think the only thing on our agenda today is to go to Sam's Club. I don't like going on a Saturday because it is "Sample Day" and old farts go there and clog up the aisle waiting on a free bite of food sample, knowing they aren't going to buy the product. But it's "free" and I swear they go there and make that their lunch.

Tomorrow is Pentecost Sunday and we need to pick a church to attend. My two former churches begin their summer combined church schedule tomorrow and just maybe we'll defy the "rules" and sneak in the back door and worship there. Isn't that a terrible thing to have to do --- sneak into a worship service because of some set of artificial man made "rules"? Ms. Kate and I will have to talk about it.

I have about a half dozen cardinals here now eating and bathing and they bright red shining in the sun is beautiful. It's time to refill my cup and have a word or two with the creator of that Cardinal and give thanks for a world of blessings that are coming my way again today. I hope you will take time to do the same thing. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment