Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year's Eve; the last day of 2015; how has this year been for you? I guess it has been a fairly good year for us in some respects and not so good in others like most other families. We lost three family members this year; my mother, Kathy's aunt, and my brother-in-law. Ms. Kate and I are rapidly becoming the senior generation in each of our families. She only has one aunt left, and I have one uncle and his wife left. He is now 90 and in bad health. Ms. Kate's aunt is still doing fair although she has had a series of strokes, but still gets around. Ms. Kate only has her sister Karen left from her immediate family and Karen is my age. I have only my younger sister left. Time does take its toll on families.

But -- 2015 has seen many good times too. Oldest daughter Julie and her husband bought their first home. Middle daughter Heather got engaged to a wonderful man and April 2016 will see their marriage. Youngest daughter Lisa and her husband Gary successfully open a small business and it is doing very well. Oldest grandson Josh is engaged to a wonderful girl and they hope to buy a home come spring. Oldest granddaughter, Amanda is preparing to cut apron strings and move out on her own. Second oldest granddaughter Lauren graduated from high school, got a job, and is preparing to ride the pro-women's Moto-Cross circuit of races this coming year. Second youngest grandson Matt will graduate high school in June and already has a job. And youngest grandson Jon is a freshman in high school and is just enjoying life.

Things have gone well at the two churches and I have been contracted for another year. Being a Licensed Minister as opposed to an Ordained Minister with our denomination, essentially means that I am "self-employed" and contracted to the churches. However my "fitness to serve" must be approved through our local United Church of Christ association. So, every year, despite the fact that the two churches "called me" as their pastor eleven years ago, we have to go through the bureaucratic rituals so I can be their pastor for another year. The association has the authority to ordain me but I've often said that our local association wouldn't even ordain Jesus because he didn't have a Masters of Divinity from an approved seminary; which is a degree I don't have.

The year is ending on a cold note. It is 34 degrees this morning and only going to 36 by this afternoon. It is about time we had winter. However, I continue my prayers for the millions that are going through some terrible flooding and blizzards across our nation. So many have died, and so many more have had homes ruined. Major highways are under water and people are doing without electricity. I pray for their welfare and safety.

I hope your 2016 is a wonderful and blessings filled year. I pray that I will be a better person in 2016 than I was in 2015 and I give God prayers of gratitude for carrying me along through the year despite my many flaws. Peace to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment