Thursday, September 10, 2015

Already again it is Thursday! The weeks just fly by, especally when we start off with a holiday on Monday.

It is a most beautiful morning out my doors and windows. The temp has risen to 72* in the time I have been out here in the sunporch. The sun has krept over the roof top and is resting on what few blossoms there are left in the yard. We had only minimal rain yesterday, just really enough to water the plants a little and settle the dust. West of us, over in Illinois they got as much as four inches in some places. We need rain, but not that much at one time.

My back sidewalk is covered with leaves and I need to get out there with the blower and then mow over them to mulch them up. It is only a micro-beginning of what is going to fall from these two huge tulip poplar trees. My yard is a 12,000 sq. ft patch totally surrounded by maples, poplar, dogwood, cyprus, and dogwood trees. And, unfortunately, my yard seems to be the place for all of those trees to deposit their leaves. It is little wonder that I constantly fight having sapplings in my flowerbeds.

The bird bath is a busy place this morning. There is a constant influx of sparrows and starlings, and blackbirds, and blue jays in and out of them this morning Water has been splashing everywhere. Even the cardinals have been in there taking baths.

We had a fairly good choir practice last evening although we were a smaller than usual group. We pulled some music from the file cabinet that the choirs did years ago. At one time, St. Lucas had a children's choir, a youth choir, and an adult choir. Today, I consider it a blesssing that we have as many as twelve for single choir. So many churches no longer have a choir at all simply because the generation or two below my age no longer have the time to participate. What a shame.

Today is going to be shopping day for groceries. Ms. Kate is cooking the Harvest Breakfast on Saturday morning for about thirty people at the church. This will be the seventh year in a row we have done this. We just think it is an important way to get our farmers and families together to give God praise for the harvest and to pray for a safe harvest. I usually do a short devotional to start the breakfast off, but this time I have asked one of our Elders to do that for us. I told him he could do whatever he wants but to just remember we don't want the gravy and biscuits to get cold. But, it is now time for me to get cleaned up and for us to head out to the stores. I never thought of going to the grocery store as doing God's work, but I guess in this case; --- maybe it is. I do know that by the time that Ms. Kate turns whatever we buy into breakfast --- it will taste heavenly.

As I look out my porch and see the changing of the seasons, --- it just reminds me of the eternalness (if that is a word) of God. That same sun has been rising over this patch of ground that is now my yard since the God created the earth. And, it will continue to do so until God says diffrently, whether that is today or some infinite number of eons from now. That is the omnipresence of our almighty and eternal God. Ponder that for awhile today and then take stock of the blessings package God dropped off in your life yet again today and give God praise for it. Have a great Thurday!

No comments:

Post a Comment