Saturday, September 26, 2015

A cloudy, cool, and windy Saturday morning greets me today. We have a very slight chance of getting a small amout of rain but not enough to talk about or measure. We could certainly use some rain but I suspect our farmers are jumping for joy because they are having perfect harvest weather. We are seeing some bringing in corn while other are already bringing in soybeans. Knowing there is no threat of rain should keep them from working at a desparate pace and working more hours a day than are safe.

Yesterday afternoon, Ms. Kate and I were sitting out here in the sunporch watching the birds etc and yellow cat came around to visit. It lay down out on the patio and watched the birds. We suspected it was in the area because all of a sudden the bluejay was raising a ruckus. Well, yellow cat was sitting there and along came a hummingbird and it flew right up in the cat's face and made it jump back. It was funny to watch. That cat never did try to bother that hummimgbird or anything else. I walked out there for a few minutes and cat came over and laid between my legs and tried to chew on my pants legs and shoe. It is very obvious that it is a family pet, but, I'll bet that family has some bite marks or scratches on their arms because it is a fiesty little thing.

Not much is going on out in the back yard today. We have maybe four cardinals out there  and an occasional finch or sparrow. My most frequent visitor this morning has been the wrens. There have been a couple of them flitting and hopping around here in and out of the potted plants. I don't know what they get out of the soil in those pots but they do seem to spend a lot of time digging around in the soil in them. Wrens have been known to build nests in our potted plants before and have even layed their eggs in there. They also tend to use the bird houses we have around here, especially out front. They seeem to like to eat from the feed cylinders the most. We have a few goldfinches here still but they are losing their color quickly which is yet one more indication that fall is here for sure.

I see a bit of blue sky breaking through so I expect our chances of rain are deteriorating rapidly. That will warm the day up as the clouds roll away. So, I reckon I better get on with my day. This is Saturday and that means tomorrow is a day of rest and worship. I hope you will take the opportunity to do both. Have a blessed weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment