Tuesday, August 11, 2015

     OK, my question of the day is: "How many preachers does it take to change a lightbulb?" Sometimes doing the simplest task can cause the most aggravation. Ms. Kate had ask me to replace the lightbulb under the microwave that is placed over the stove, maybe 15 inches. I looked under there and saw that it should only take the removal of a single phillips head screw and a panel would drop down to veal he light. So, I got my little screwdriver, dropped the panel and took hold of the bulb and it came on! Yay for me! Viola', thought I; it's just a lose bulb. So I turned it to tighen it only to have the bulb, and only the bulb, come out. ----- A very unholy thought ensued along with an audible expression that questioned nobody in particular's parental status, and I went to get a pair of needle nose pliers. --- I couldn't find a single pair of my six pair that I know I have. (another audible).  I decided to take a flathead screwdriver and maybe I could bend the base of that lightbulb in enough that I could grab it with a small pair of regular pliers. The trick here of course is to bbend the copper base in but not break the plastic socket it is screwed into. And of course not shock myself bcause I can't tell if the thing is on or off.

    Pliers and screwdriver in hand I went back to the kitchen. I'm having to bend over the stove and work in a 15" space to try to get the base of a lightbulb out of a 1/4 inch socket. This is not fun and while I could get the base bent a little, no way were my pliers going to fit into that little hole to grab it. So, after another audible, I went back to the garage to continue my search for a pair of my needle nose pliers. This time I found a pair and headed back to the kitchen. After a solid fifteen minutes of me bending over aand twisting my body in order to twist and turn the base of the bulb, I finally got the last piece out. Yes, it came out in about ten twisted and broken pieces. ---- and "no", I didn't have a replacement bulb. So, yesterday afternoon, after a visit to the funeral home for a friend, we went to Lowes so I could get a new bulb. They didn't have one that looked exactly like the one I had in my hand but they did have one that said "mirowave" on the package. That one now is installed in my microwave and seems to work just fine. So, the answer to the question of how manay preachers does it take to change a lightbulb is; --- "just one, but it an all day event." But, Ms. Kate is happy that she now has a light over her stove again and I'm happy because the bulb is supposd to last 2000 hours, which given the infrequency of use, should last the rest of my life.

    So that's my tale today. It has nothing to do with this magnificent day God has provided or the sun shining off of the pholx while the hummingbird nuzzles from one bloom to another. It was just a chance to laugh at myself and invite you to join me as I do. It was just a reminder to not take ourselves too serious and to look for the joy in life even if it is as simple as changing a lightbulb. I hope that you find some simple joys in your life today, and when you do, stop and send thanks to the source of all joy and good things; our Father, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment