Friday, August 28, 2015

And now --- Hello Friday!!! God has created yet another masterpiece this morning. The sun is shining and it is a balmy 64 degrees with only a hint of a breeze. The hummingbird is busy trying to get any last vestiges of nectar out of the phlox. At the moment, that hummingbird is the only thing visiting the backyard with the exception of one lonely bumble bee also flitting from phlox to phlox. So, it is quiet around here this morning. Only the motor running in the small refrigerator I have out here is making any noise. Ms. Margaret's yard crew came yesterday so I don't even have them making noise.

I did have yard visitors last night around 0330. I got up for a "nature call" and then I came out here to look around for a moment or two and there was a big raccoon hanging on the caged cylinder feeder. I ran him off with a few BB gun shots. I also think we may have had a skunk out there because I could faintly smell that oder in the yard and I also saw the white butt of some critter as it ran under a bush in the northwest end of the yard. That however, could also have been our 'possum. They waddle about the same when they run and I only caught a glimpse of it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do today. It is supposed to go up to about 90 today and the humidity is back on the rise. We've had no rain so I don't need to mow. I do need to water the plants out here in the back porch. It wouldn't do to let Ms. Kate's plants die while she is gone. I also need to change out the water in the bird baths and top off all of the bird feeders. And I need to go out and check on Karen's place. I'm sure it is fine but she always comes by here two or three times when we are gone and checks on our place. And since I'll be on that side of town, I guess I will go by the Wild Birds feed store. I want to price a couple of baffles to put on these feeders to maybe keep the animals off of them. So, I guess I have a day of stuff to do after all.

The annual "Frog Follies" are in town this weekend. That is a gathering of hotrodders and streetrodders that come to town every year at this time. There will probably be around 4000 street rods out at the fairgrounds. They are a big boost to the economy and their coming here is a charity event. Over the years they have raised several million dollars for local charities. I know they have been coming for at least twenty years. They fill all of the hotels and the resturants and everybody makes a little money off oof their visit. It does crowd the roads a bit but no one is complaining.

The neighborhood is waking up now. I'm hearing lawn mowers and weed whackers running. Even the birds are now awake and the Bluejays and cardinals and nuthatches are all here eating. What a great morning. But -- it is time for me to get busy. As I do, I pray you will have a good weekend. I'll remind you again to take time this weekend to attend your local house of worship. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment