Friday, April 22, 2022

 Happy sunny Friday. It’s 69 degrees here in Vicksburg this morning. The geese woke us up again this morning at 0630. LOL. They do like to chatter and fuss with one another. I don’t know if maybe they have nests out there at the water or not. We are not supposed to walk over there because there are alligators in the water so they say. We have a sign in the lobby that says to not go beyond the sidewalk because of gators. So, I think I will be a law abiding citizen and keep my butt away. LOL

We had a good day yesterday. We went to the downtown historic district of Vicksburg and to a restaurant called Walnut Hill. The place is the #1 recommendation by Trip Advisor for restaurants in Vicksburg and I can see why. It was southern home cooking at its best. I had fried chicken, red beans and rice, cabbage for the entree’ and it came with corn bread muffins and some little rolls, our tea, and then banana pudding for dessert. The chicken was fried perfectly. The seasoning on everything was perfect. Ms. Kate had the same thing as I did except she had glazed carrots instead of the cabbage. I tried them and they were delicious. The place is also a bakery so we took a huge piece of Italian Wedding cake fro Kate and a piece of coconut Creme pie for me back to the hotel for our supper. Her cake was delicious and so much better than my pie. I’m not sure what it was about the pie that I didn’t like except that maybe it was too full of coconut and it was dense. 

After lunch we drove to the Vicksburg National Cemetery and park. It is a large area with monuments representing the different units from both sides of the war at the location of where they were encamped and fought. It is daunting to think of 100,000 men fighting one another in the terrain. It had to be a bloody and horrible thing to go through. When I think of the equipment they had and primitive conditions of the war, lack of any kind of technology that we use today, I wonder how many men were killed through mis-identification of a unit etcetera. 

Today we are leaving Vicksburg and heading to Biloxi for a few days on the gulf. Everybody need a little salt air in their system once in awhile. The weather is supposed to be beautiful so that will be great. I don’t know if I will but I would really like to find a place to take an air-boat ride through the swamps. It’s a bucket-kits item. 

Have yourself a great weekend. Peace. 















No comments:

Post a Comment