Friday, April 8, 2022

 Friday morning and once again I am griping about the weather. It’s 40 degrees, rainy, and the weather dude last night said that we could even have snow showers this morning. So far that hasn’t happened; not that it would amount to anything if it did. But just the idea that it could happen gives me shivers. I just saw a forecast  for the plains area for next week and they are looking at possible blizzard conditions sometime next week. That would be zero fun. Can you imagine having the kiddos go out and look for Easter eggs in the snow. We have done that, many years ago when we were stationed at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri. I had gone out late the night before and “hid” the eggs. The next morning we got up to three inches of snow. So, snow at Easter is not unheard of. 

How are you going to celebrate Palm Sunday this Sunday? Does your church even celebrate the day? Many churches do not. Palm Sunday has always been important in our denomination and is always celebrated. I’ll be picking up palm fronds for the two churches tomorrow from the florist. They will be given to the kids during Sunday school at St. Lucas and Megan will give them to the kids during the Children’s moment at St. Paul’s. We have the cutest bunch of really young children at St. Paul’s. I’m anxious to see what Megan will do with them. We are also having an infant baptism during the service at St. Paul’s; what a blessing that is. Unfortunately the child has been sick this week so I hope it all comes together. If not, —- an Easter Sunday baptism is fine too; maybe even more special. 

How do you feel about having “Easter egg hunts” at church on Easter Sunday? Does it bother you? Do you find it as religious or offensive? It has never bothered me as long as it doesn’t “become the main event”. But some churches and pastors really rail against it calling it pagan. Other churches wil try to really separate the two events. My home church had their egg hut last Sunday which is two weeks before Easter. I assume it is insure there is a distinction between the secular fun of Easter and the joy of the resurrection. I can certainly support that option too. At our St. Lucas church the kids will hut the eggs after the Sunrise service and breakfast. At. St. Paul’s they will hunt the eggs as they  meet for cake and coffee after church. I’ve never been able to witness it but I’m told there is a kids eggs hunt and then an adults egg hunt. It makes for a joy filled day. 

I’m still working on my May 1st sermon. I got a good bit of it written yesterday yesterday but I’m just not pleased with it so, back to the computer today for me. As I have said many, many times, I can write fast and write badly or I can take my time and let the words come to me. If I try to force it, it just turns out wrong. 

So, my friends, that’s it for Friday. Stay warm, and stay in touch with God. Peace. 










No comments:

Post a Comment