Saturday, April 23, 2022

 Good morning on this sunny Saturday morning. Today we are in Biloxi, MS, and are staying on Keesler Air Force Base in the DV Quarters. We have a four room "apartment" types quarters; living room, large bedroom, kitchen and large bathroom. These quarters are used for Colonel's and Generals when they come to visit the base for specific duty. Then also then allow retired Colonels and Generals to use them if they have room. We have stayed in DV quarters across the nation and they are almost always great, --- if they are Air Force. The other services have a different set of standards and generally are not as nice. 

So, as planned, we drove from Vicksburg to Biloxi yesterday. It was a nice trip, about four hours. We took the state roads and stayed off of interstates again. Yes, you can't go 70 - 75 miles and hour but the state highways was really a good one with little traffic on it. And there is nothing wrong with traveling 60 mph and seeing America like we used to do when I was a kid before interstates were built. (Yes, I'm that old. The interstates weren't built until the early to mid-50's. My folks, my sister and I, and Grandma Rath used to travel to places like Florida and Michigan, and the Black Hills of South Dakota in our old Studebaker on state roads with luggage, coolers, and five people in the car. Car air conditioning meant all four windows "rolled down". LOL) So, traveling backroads and bi-ways was the purpose of this trip and it has been very enjoyable. However, on the way home we will jump on the interstate and boot-scoot on home. 

I really enjoyed coming on the base yesterday. I received a sharp salute from the Security Forces member at the gate, and was addressed by my rank at the gate and and billeting. That might not sound like a big deal to the civilian world but to military and I think especially to retired military, it is a big thing. It is a culture of respect and discipline and recognition for who and what you are and what you have worked hard to achieve, I find very little comparison to that in the civilian world. Everybody seems to want to be on "first name basis". Maybe that's okay, but I think we all like to sometimes feel a sense of acknowledgement. I'm very fortunate in that the people of my parish call me Pastor John, and I appreciate that. I remember when I first retired and went to my home church I heard the young kids all referring to "PT" when they talked to or about the pastor. I was shocked. But, ---- that was what he allowed. Shame on him. But then again, --- maybe I'm the one that being "uppity". 

Time to close this up and go find some beignets for breakfast. Have yourself a very wonderful weekend. Peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment