Monday, March 28, 2022

 Well, well, well! Let’s open up a brand new week and see what falls out. Certainly nothing has changed weather-wise. It is 34 degrees this morning. The sky is still cloudy but at least the wind has died down for now. At this rate I may have to bring back out the electric bird bath to keep the skim of ice off of the water. It dropped down to 29 degrees last night. March certainly came in like a lamb but it is going out like a lion just as the old saying goes. 

I know I have been very delinquent about writing this past week. My apologies for that. I could just say I’ve been busy but the truth is that if i don’t write first thing in the morning than I never seem to get around to it during the rest of the day regardless of how my time gets filled. But last week was a week of filled mornings. This week looks a little better so I’ll try to stay on track. 

I spent a good deal of time this past Saturday out in the yard pulling weeds and cleaning out my asparagus bed. It was growing over with those purple flowered weeds that seem to over take everything. I wish I knew what they were called so I could grumble at them by name. I’ve tried “Googleing it” but all that does is take you to ads for weed-control companies like True Green. We had Tru-Green yard service one year and it was aa total waste of money. Any way —- I spent a Thursday afternoon bent over my raised asparagus bed pulling out the weeds and dozens of little “starter saplings” from the maple tree seeds. I was very surprised at how well everything pulled up, Of course, the raised bed has excellent dirt in it and it is soft so I was able to pull up roots and all. It was amazing to me; the little saplings were only maybe a “fist-tall”, but they came out with as long as nine inches of root. So, chopping them off would have done nothing to eliminate them. This is my first year of “production” for the asparagus. I planted it three years ago and had to wait three years before I could cut it to eat. It is early yet  but I have one sprig of asparagus up. I need to find somewhere to get some sawdust to put on that bed now. That’s what my friend Bob Schuessler always did and he has more asparagus than you can shake a stick at. (Why would you shake a stick at it, I wonder? What a weird old saying.)

Our Parish Bible study is really going well. We had thirteen again this last Wednesday and the discussion was lively. We’re discussing the last ten days in the life of Jesus. This Wednesday we’ll be talking about Mark 15, the Garden of Gethsemane and the Good Friday. I suspect that will go lively too. I find it wonderful and amazing that there are so many things that we think we know or just gloss over but when we really read closely, we find that we have a lot of questions about the “who’s and why’s” of our Biblical events. As the pastor people look to me for the answer and there is just so much that I don’t know and that has to be my answer. But then I feel obligated to research and se what I can find out. Unfortunately, that research often take me down some very long “rabbit trails”. But —- that’s what I love about Bible study too. 

Time to get busy for today. One of my self-given tasks for today is to work on our vacation plans. Last night I think we finally decided on a plan to head over to St. Louis, MO and get on the “Great River Road” and follow the Mississippi River all the way from St. Louis to New Orleans. That should be a great trip of back roads and bi-ways. Today I need to map it out.I think it is about a 700 mile trip. 

Have yourself a great day and a day filled with blessings. Peace. 











No comments:

Post a Comment