Saturday, February 26, 2022

 Saturday, February 26th, 2022. I don’t know what you were doing 56 years ago on this date but I was preparing to marry the love of my life. I was home on leave from the Air Force having just finished Basic Training and Air Police Technical School. I was young and brash and knew I had the world by the cajones, —- after all, I was an American Fighting Man. LOL I had no idea or probably even any thoughts what the future would hold. The entirety of my future was to get married and make sure I was at my first military assignment on time. Neither Kate nor I had any idea that the Air Force would end up being my first career. 

Our wedding was very simple. We got married at Kate’s home church, St. Paul’s United Church of Christ on Michigan Street. The reception was simple and we maybe had thirty people at our wedding. The reception was in the basement of the church and we had cake, punch, coffee, and mints. Ms. Kate was absolutely gorgeous in her wedding dress, and many years later, our daughter Lisa wore that same dress. Next spring, Lisa’s daughter Amanda will get married and I really hope she will choose to wear Ms. Kate’s dress. But, she probably won’t. 

This evening we will celebrate by going to a nice restaurant up in Haubstadt called the Haub Steak House. We’ve been there only once because it is a bit pricey. But then any place that you go and the meal is “ala-carte” is going to be pricey. 

So here we are, 56 years later, moved back to our home town after 32 years of serving our country in the Air Force. We have three wonderful daughters and a fourth young lady we treat as and consider our daughter. She’s just proof that God sometimes throws in an extra blessing and you get to take it home with you. The girls are all long gone from home and have families of their own which gives us five also fully grown grandchildren. I retired from the USAF 21 years ago and I’m 19 years into my second career. If God is willing, I plan on working for another 22 months and finally really retire at the end of 2023. Ms. Kate and I are in our mid & upper seventies and just continuing to live and love and give God thanks for a life overwhelmed with blessings. 

Have a blessed day. Peace.










No comments:

Post a Comment