Tuesday, February 22, 2022

 Good morning on this rainy morning. We have gotten 1.19 inches so far since midnight. I think we are in a lull right now with more rain coming later. But the worst has passed us I think. 

So, today and this week is a Palindrome Week, meaning that the date reads the same forwards and backwards. That’s not going to happen for another eight years; 03/03/2030. I wonder if I will be alive to see that. I should be 85 then so there is a possibility. I would hope so. But then, I reckon I won’t know it if I’m not. LOL

Today is “Tax Day”. Ms. Kate and I finally have all of the paperwork gathered to file our taxes, or at least we think we do. We always file through on-line Turbo-Tax. It is a frustrating five hours or so but feels so good when we have them finished. And, it is better than paying an accountant, or at least has been so far. I think only once in our life did we take them to a “firm” and that was the first year we were married. Between us we didn’t make $5000.00 that year and it cost us, I think, a couple of hundred dollars to have them done and we didn’t get anything back. In those days, as a “one stripe airman”, a couple of hundred dollars was huge; I mean like “rent payment” huge. So the only other time we have had someone else do our taxes was when we asked our accountant daughter to do them for us. But she doesn’t do taxes anymore and even sends hers out to be done. Her philosophy is that “you don’t grade your own paper when you run a business”. That makes sense. A couple of years ago we checked with H&R Block about doing our taxes and they were going to charge us about $500.00 because we had to add IL farm income to our mix. Certainly, Turbo Tax isn’t free or even cheap but we can save some money by doing them ourselves. They are just a PITA to do. I was reading an article last evening that said the government (IRS) is still 23.1 million tax forms back logged  in completing last years tax forms and they are trying to hire 1200 extra people to catch up on their backlog. The back log is mainly caused by folks who file their taxes on paper instead of on-line. When you file on-line the computers do a good job of filing them but if you file by paper, they literally have to sit there and go line by line and number by number. It is no wonder they are jammed up because they were also the ones that had to deal with the stimulus payments. But —— I’ll bey that if I filed late they would have time to catch that right away and charge their fees. 

Okay, enough about terrible topics. I need to get cleaned up and dressed and prepare for battle. Y’all have a wonderful day. Try to stay dry, stay safe, and stay in touch with God. Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment