Friday, February 7, 2020

“Baby, it’s cold outside”; so the song says. And, it looks cold too. There is a very light dusting of snow and it is currently snowing but the flakes are so small that they are almost indistinguishable. Needless to say, our snow won’t amount to much. There have been some reports of slick roads though. I’m glad we don’t have to go anywhere today. We had talked about taking Ms. Kate to get her   Pro-time blood work done, but I think we’ll just wait and see what the weather does. It will warm up this afternoon maybe and then we will go. It is a quick outing if we don’t go anywhere else.

Well, I went to the churches yesterday and did some work in the office. The furniture delivery finally got there. The guys can get it put together now and I can quit futzing about that. While I was there, I got a text that one of our ladies had been taken to the Gateway Hospital the night before via ambulance. Turns out she had several ulcers and at least one of them was bleeding. They gave her some blood and they cauterized the ones that were bleeding. She should get to go home today. She and hr husband are a few years older than me and he isn’t doing all that well either. I have concerns about their health and condition. Both are really nice folks and leaders in the church. I would guess that at least a third of my St. Lucas congregation is older than me and at St. Paul’s I think only one might be older than me. But, I potentially could be doing several funerals in the next four or five years because most of my aging population are not in that great of health. But then, who knows if I’ll live that long either.

I don’t want to get morbid with you but do you ever think about your death? I am a Christian and therefore I believe there is certainly eternal life of a different kind after out physical bodies have quit and we “die”. And I try to live a life that will guarantee that eternal life will guarantee I’ll be in the presence of God. But, — what I sometimes wonder about isn’t the eternal life and all of that. I think about the actual experience of death. When we do something here as live people, we can look at it afterwards and tell ourselves that it was a good experience or a bad experience. But can we do that when we pass away? Do we, in our new form of reality have the ability to look back and think, “well, that wasn’t so bad.”  Do we watch how people react to our death? Do we attend our own funeral and wonder why more people didn’t show up? Our Bible tells us that God created us in His image and I believe that. However, I believe that the true image of God is spirit and light and love and when we “return to God” our souls will be of spirit and light and love and we will be reconnected with all of our loved ones because we will recognize and be reunited with  their spirit and light and love.  That, for what it is worth, is my picture of what we call heaven.

So, that went deep really quick,  didn’t it? And with that, I’ll sign off for the day. Stay in contact with God; —- you’re part of my light and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment