Thursday, March 29, 2018

I thought for a moment this morning that the rain had stopped. I was concerned that the arc was going to hit dry-dock. But noooooo! The rain is back and promises to be here in an on and off fashion through tonight.

Maundy Thursday; it is a Holy day and the designated day of The Last Supper which is also the beginning of the holy sacrament we Christians call Communion. We shall participate in Holy Communion tonight as part of our Maundy Thursday service. Then at 9:00 pm we’ll begin an all night prayer vigil at the church with people swapping out every half an hour until 9:00 am tomorrow. I’m signed up for the 11:00 pm watch. Our denomination, the United Church of Christ, doesn’t practice a lot of ritual but Easter is extremely significant in our faith. It is the very basis for our belief in an eternal after-life. The style of worship for our denomination runs from the very traditional, which I like, to the very contemporary, which I can tolerate a little bit of but am not crazy about. The argument of course is do you do what is popular and showy because you think it might attract a younger crowd or do you stand by the roots of your church and traditions that have worked for decades. There are valid arguments either way.

I met last night with our “role players” for the Tenebrae service tonight. We got everybody a costume and went over the roles and duties. It didn’t take long and it went very well. I hope that at service time it isn’t pouring down rain. I expect we will have fifty or so at the service. I’d hate to see it pour down at service time and people decide not to get out. We’ve already decided to move our Sunrise service indoors because of rain and soggy ground.

I have three squirrels out here this morning grabbing breakfast. There have been a few birds of differing varieties but it has been rather sporadic. There have been a couple of cardinals, fiches and starlings and that is about it except for the robin that is loving floating earthworms.

My coffee cup is empty so I guess I better fill it and maybe fix a pan of cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Have a wonderful day. Be thankful for your blessings and share them with others. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment