Friday, March 30, 2018

As I posted on Facebook this morning, I looked out the front door this morning and saw something I haven’t seen for over a week; dry pavement. It is amazing how significant the insignificant can become isn’t it? It is a cloudy forty three degrees this morning but at least it isn’t raining. Sadly though, this is only a brief respite between fronts and we can expect showers again on and off and maybe, —- can you believe it —- snow showers on Easter Sunday. Winter ran forty five days late in starting and it appears it will run forty five days late in ending. We are looking at maybe four days of rain again next week and that is the beginning of our “spring severe weather” season. Yay!!!!

It is Good Friday for those of of the Christian Faith. For many it will mean another church service tonight. It will for us to be sure. PastorArt has tonight’s service though. For restaurant owners it means selling a lot of fish sandwiches today. I’ve never looked into the meaning of having fish on Good Friday but it is something that I’ve always been acquainted with. I think it is a Catholic practice that has carried over in to the Protestant world. I need to Google that. I just know it is something that we have done because we weren’t supposed to eat meat on Good Friday. It is another one of those religious things that you will not find in the Bible. I get amused sometimes at the things we do for religious reasons that are not biblically supported. As far back as I can remember, even in elementary school, they served fish on Friday or a toasted cheese sandwich and tomato soup. BTW, a lasted cheese sanwich with a bowl of tomato soup is a childhood favorite. It is one of the few meals that my mother made that I actually liked.

I did the 11:00 pm shift at the church last night for the prayer vigil. I got home around 12:15 am and as I walked by the sun porch I thought I saw something outside the window. I flipped on the light and there was Rocky Raccoon having a midnight snack at the backyard buffet. I invited him to leave and told him we were closed for the night. He went lumbering off across the yard, stopping every twenty feet or so to see if I was still watching.

This afternoon I’m taking communion to a parishioner who can’t make it to church this Easter. Bless her heart, she’s probably 90 and has come down with shingles. She has been out of church for several weeks and I know she misses it terribly. She is one of those who simply never misses except for something like this. She was one of my Sunday school teachers when I was growing up and so was her husband. He passed away some years ago.

The sun is shining brightly now and I’m going to just sit here and enjoy it and give thanks for it. I hope you have a blessed day and a blessed Easter. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment