Friday, September 1, 2017

Happy rainy Friday. It is fifty-nine dgrees this morning and isn't going to warm up much more than that. For September 1st, that is just crazy-sauce. It is all thanks to the remnants of what is now tropical depression Harvey. This weather is supposed to clear out of here by tomorrow though and we are expecting a nice Labor Day weekend. The good thing about the rain though is that I just planted turnip seed yesterday and this will water it in good. I think this is the first time I have ever planted turnips so we'll see what happens. By the time we get back from our fall vacation they should be ready to pull. Ms. Kate and I like to pull them, peel them and eat them. I can't stand cooked turnips although I've heard that if they are fixed right one can't tell the difference between them and mashed potatoes.

I had an industrious day yesterday. Besides planting my turnip seed, I got the front yard mowed and neighbor Dan's yard mowed. I also went to the back yard and took the blower and cleaned off the sidewalks and blew the leaves out of my newly mulched flowerbeds. I didn't mow the back yard because the grass is much thinner back here and it would have been really dusty and I didn't want tobe breathing that in. I'll wait until the rain is all over and mow it tomorrow afternoon. I also went to the Pet Food Center and picked up another 40# of sunflower seed and a dozen packages of suet and what they call a "birdola" which is a rectangular seed cake. My can was half empty and I needed to fill feeders yesterday so I bought some more sunflower seed. From what I see out there this morning, my backyard buffet guest are quite satisfied. And --- besides all of that, Ms. Kate and I got the laundry done. So, it was a highly productive day for both of us.

Today --- not so much. We are meeting Bob and Brenda for lunch at St. Joe Inn and that is about the extent of our activities and social life today. Tomorrow Julie and Jim are coming over and will spend the night, Jim has to work on Labor Day so that puts a damper of the holiday weekend. In that it is supposed to rain like this most oof the day, I think the sound of the rain litter-pattering on the sunporch roof is going to make a nice lullaby for our naps later in the day. I love being retired.

That is about it for today. My heart still breaks for all of the folks suffering from the Hurricane. The death toll is up to 47 now and they expect it will rise as the water recedes and they find more bodies. I continue to pray for them and Ms. Kate and I have also made our donation to the Red Cross to help out in some small way. After all, we can't just pray it away, we have to get involved too. Until next post --- have a blessed day.


No comments:

Post a Comment