Thursday, September 7, 2017

It is a sixty degree, sunny morning and the buffet is in full swing. The hummingbirds are here, the finches and sparrows are flitting around between the bird bath and the feeders. There are a couple of starlings fighting over one feeder while a couple of others sit and watch them. A dove waddles around on the porch and in the yard picking up what the other birds knock out of the feeders. Sprinkled in and amongst the birds are several small butterflies fluttering around to the pholx adding a splash of color to the mix. It is a very peaceful yet actively entertaining scene.

This "fall-like" weather is quite a change from the norm for southern Indiana. Usually September is a fairly hot dry month at least through the first half. But --- world weather is totally screwed up at the moment. We had Hurricane Harvey a couple of weeks ago that devastated the Gulf Coast regions of Texas and Louisiana and now we have Hurricane Irma, barreling across the Atlantic Ocean at a Category 5 level and it is about to hit Florida head-on in Miami. The weather forecasters had predicted that we would have the worst hurricane season in a decade this year and so far they have been on target with their predictions. I just continue to pray for safe conduct for people in their paths.

The harvest has begun. My friend Scott Wallis posted a picture of the corn going into the elevator yesterday. I always worry about my farmer friends and their families during planting and harvest seasons. They work long hours, often past a state of complete mental alertness. That can lead to some rally dangerous and horrible accidents. So, I'm firing up my prayer list for all of of those folks.

I had a highly productive day yesterday and got all of the things that I had put on my "to do" list completed. The result is that I can take it a bit easier today which is a good thing. We plan to go get pedicures today and then go to the cemeteries and put fall flowers on the graves. My yard is mowed and the leaves in the back yard are raked and mulched. I spent two and a half hours in one front flowerbed yesterday pulling out grass and weeds and cutting back the iris. The only thing left to do there is wait until the end of September and them cut back the peonies. Then I'll get a scoop of mulch on put a fresh layer on before winter. But, --- there are still more flowerbeds out front to be worked and I need to stay on top of them or they will get out of control again. But the yard looks great this morning. I wish I had help doing some of this stuff but I don't. Ms. Kate can't work it there much and I give in to myself too easily. So I got to keep at it. I think I told you last week that I had finally planted my turnip seed out in the garden. Well, I was out there yesterday and had to laugh because as I told Ms. Kate --- the garden looks like a "Chia-Pet" where the turnips are coming up. I sure didn't think I had planted that many seeds but there is a mat of turnips growing out there. We'll see how all of this turns out. All we wanted was a few turnips to munch on and we'll certainly have that. The rest will make for good ground cover and keep the weeds down. Then I can till them under and they will enhance the soil.

That is about it for today. It is time to do something useful. Have a wonderful day. Stay in touch with God today and be grateful for all of the blessings that are flowing your way. Peace.


































No comments:

Post a Comment