Thursday, August 31, 2017

It is Thursday morning and I am watching the clouds come and go as what is now tropical depression Harvey slowly moves into our area. We are supposed to start getting some of the rain from it later in the day with some 15-25 mph winds. Our area locally looks to not get more than an inch of rain, which we could use. Thank goodness that the coastal reagons are now able to start recovery and the rain has stopped. I was watching Good Morning America earlier today and they have a telethon going to collect money for those affected by all of this disaster. One of the things that they reported was that at least 60% of those whose houses are sitting in six or more feet of water did not have flood insurance. I heard last night that there may be as many as 100,000 cars sitting under water. There are some areas where the water is receding but other areas are still having water rise because it is draining from other areas. But, God's blessed sunshine is shining on them today and God's mercy and grace will carry these folks through. Of that, I have no doubt.

One of the sad by-products of disasters though is that it also brings out people who are criminals and have no sense of humanity or morals. There are people looting homes and stores, people robbing other people and people that will pose as contractors offering to repair storm damage and then demanding payment up front and then not finishing up the job. It is only a micro amount of the people that do this kind of stuff but it always happens and people that are already suffering are caused even more pain and suffering. And the people they often target are the most vulnerable such as the elderly. What a shame. I suspect God has a special place for despicable people like that. They might not believe in God but God knows who they are and who their soul belongs to.

I had to fill up my bird baths first thing this morning. Both were empty to the point of being dry. There has been a steady stream of finches at the one bird bath. Yesterday afternoon there was a steady stream of starlings at the other bird bath and they splashed and splashed. Sometimes there would be as many as five birds in there at one time. Water was going everywhere. It is no wonder that I had to refill them first thing this morning. I also need to fill a couple of feeders again today. And --- I should go get another 40 pounds of sunflower seed if we go anywhere today. My can is more than half empty. Unfortunately I also need to go to Wildbirds and Things soon because I am almost out of all of my special feeds. That is a $100.00 minimum trip --- scheesh!! I threw about a full loaf of stale bread out on the ground late yesterday evening for the birds and there isn't a crumb left this morning.

Time for me to get busy. Please join me in prayers for those we love and for those who are suffering not only from this hurricane for who are suffering anywhere in the world. We are all God's children and that makes us all brothers and sisters in the eyes of God our Father. Let's all be good to one another. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment