Saturday, April 2, 2016

It is a bright 43 degrees out there this morning and is going up to 61 today with sunshine all day. It is hard to know what clothes to plan on day by day right now. It's Tee-shirts one day and sweatshirts the next. The weather guy said there will be a freeze warning for parts of the tri-state area for tonight. What gives???

The feeders are full of visitors this morning. I filled everything up yesterday afternoon. I especially wanted to make sure my bark butter feeders were full because the Pilated woodpecker likes that and generally comes in on Saturday morning. I really want to keep it interested in coming here. So far this morning I've neither seen nor heard from it. I do have at least a half dozen cardinals, three, maybe four robins, several goldfinches, and a couple of other woodpeckers here. And of course, the dang starlings are here. They come in and spend more time fighting each other than they actually do eating.

I have told you before that my yard is surrounded by nine large trees. Two huge tulip poplars are in my back yard and everything else is just on the other side of the fence on the south, west, and north sides of me. Also, my south fence is lined with six large fire bushes, a huge Rose of Sharon, and a Crepe Myrtle. Each day, it seems that all of these trees and bushes are leafing out more and more. That helps to account for all of the birds and squirrels, that I have. Everything feels safe because there is plenty of shelter and cover. It also accounts for the fact that within a month, My back yard will see very little sunshine because of all the shade. The detriment is that it quasi-limits what we can plant for flowers back here. On the other hand --- it sure cuts down on my air conditioning usage.

The ground has dried out much but I think I can get out there and mow today. I have a lot of weeds to pull out of the flowerbeds already. We pulled some out yesterday but the beds are too muddy to be walking around in. That also means that we can't work up any ground yet for doing any planting. Early lettuce and radishes should already be in the ground and coming up. But, all we have is our asparagus. Potatoes should have been planted o/a St. Patrick's day but it was cold rainy and nasty so that didn't happen. Ms. Kate even had some that had gone to sprout in the bag that we were going to use. They went to rot and compost instead.

God has given us a beautiful but cool day and we need to put it to some good use, so I think I'll drop off now.  I better check and see if Ms. Kate has anything on my schedule that I don't know about yet. I hope your day is filled with good things. Tomorrow is Sunday, the day we typically reserve for giving praise to God. But hey, ----- you don't need to wait. Go ahead, give God glory today.

No comments:

Post a Comment