Thursday, February 11, 2016

I think it was Carmen Miranda who sang "We're having a heat wave". I guarantee you she wasn't singing it about here. It's a grey and cloudy twenty four degrees here this morning; although we are forecasted to get almost up to the freezing point today. Winter sure took its tine getting here but when it did --- it did it in fashion. I'm just hoping we are in the last hoorah of winter.

I feel sorry for all of my regular birds out there this morning. The feeders are empty and in fact, I have to go get some safflower seed and barkbutter chips today because I'm out. But, --- theere are still a bunch of red-wing blackbirds out there and a few grackles and of course, -- starlings. I know that as soon as I fill everything up --- the call will go out and my yard with look like a rolling black carpet again as the flocks and flocks of blackbirds come flying in. So, right now, they will just have to keep cleaning up and eating all of the stuff they have thrown and spilled on the ground. But even the squirrels are running through the yard carrying little signs that say "Kiss my flipping tail!" But --- I still keep water out there for them and that is a plus when everything else is frozen over.

We had a nice Ash Wednesday service last night although attendance was only about thirty five people which is half of what we normally have. Again, blame the weather. None of my older folks came out and I don't blame them. But, we shared communion at the altar and the imposition of the ashes of redemption and I think folks got the desired benefit out of the service. I hope so anyway. After the service, Ms, Kate and I stayed around and ran the bulletins and go the sanctuary set up for Sunday so we wouldn't have to go back up today.

Today I need to call the funeral home up in Boonville in reference to a funeral I'm supposed to do tomorrow. What was put in the obituary for the man was not what I was told would be happening. So, I need to follow up on that. Then, Ms. Kate and I have a lot of running around to do today although staying home in front of the fireplace would be much more desirable. There are just several things we need to shop for that we keep putting off because we don't want to get out in the cold. But, I guess we will "man-up" and get out there instead of being old wussies.

Youngest grandson, Jon, has his leg and foot in a cast. He and his friend were doing the "boy kind of stuff" and it didn't work it like he planned. They were doing the old "Ring the doorbell and ditch" routine." So they rang this fellow's doorbell and took off and jumped over a six foot fence. He landed wrong and broke his foot. And --- to make matters worse for him --- the fellow had a video camera on the front door and put the video on the neighborhood Facebook page so his mother knew instantly what he had done, and made him go back and apologize; --- a fate worse than death. Aaah well; if that is the worst of his criminal activities in his life; --- he'll do fine.

I just had a bluebird show up at my feeders and there is not much to eat. That is my first bluebird since last spring. I have a bluebird house hanging on the poplar tree. It would be great if it comes back with a mate and rents the place out.

Well, I just got word that my funeral visitation for today and my funeral for tomorrow is off. It seems that "other relatives" had differing ideas about who was in charge and what was going to happen. My friend who had asked me to do the funeral was the ex-wife, constant caregiver, and best friend and soul-mate of the deceased; but his daughter came in and took over and changed everything. It happens. Death often takes more than just a life. ----- So, that frees up some of my time for the next couple of days and I won't have to stand out in the snow while I do a funeral.

The Lenteen season has begun. It is a time of reflection, repentance and service. Take some time in these next forty days and do something to make life better for someone else. Take some time in these next forty days to seal any gaps in your relationship with God.  ---- Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment