Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A sunny, currently cloudless, 41 degree day greets me this morning. That is great to see because the next couple of days are not going to be very good. Lots of rain ending with  some snow is in the forecast for Wednesday and Thursday. Then we are back to the middle 50's again for the weekend. Yep, winter is giving birth to spring. Last night we had an absolutely beautiful full moon. It is called a "Snow moon" according to Native American lore. It was bright enough that it was possible to read by it.

The cardinals really look beautiful this morning as the sun glistens off of them. I see a few of the goldfinches have started to turn just a bit more yellow. Actually the sun makes the grackles more beautiful. They are what I call a blue/black and when the sun hits them just right, that dark blue really stands out. I think they call that color "indigo blue", but -- since I'm quasi-color blind, what do I know. I can see colors, but I have what is called a green deficiency which means that anything that has green as part of its color make-up is skewed in color to me. Most things that are "light green" are just brown or grey to me me. I'm probably the only kid in school that got a "minus" in coloring. ----But --  color is starting to return to my back yard in one fashion or an other. The starlings however, are still "no value added", sunshine or not! When the winter brown is all that is evident out there it doesn't inspire much. As much as I don't like snow, it is a beautiful sight when everything is covered with it. But like most folks, I am ready for spring. Most of the daffodils are up about four inches now. I haven't seen a tulip pop through yet though and neither have the crocus.

I'm half way through with my sermon for the first Sunday in March and I need to finish that today. I don't think we have any running around to do today so I should be able to dedicate the day to writing stuff.  I hope to not only finish that sermon but also put together a few more worship services for the month of March. I'm just trying to get ahead of the game a little bit.

If I'm going to get ahead, I need to remove my self from this chair and move to my office downstairs. Before I do though I must take time to offer up prayers of gratitude for such a beautiful day, for a family that loves me, for reasonably good health, for friends like you, and for the privilege God has given me to pastor two of His churches these past almost twelve years. My life is blessed and if I died today I think it could be said that I lived a good life. I often take stock of my blessings and I know that I certainly have done nothing to be this rewarded. So, I can only humbly give thanks to our loving and grace-giving God. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment