Tuesday, April 18, 2023

 April 18th, 1775 — Paul Revere set of on his famous ride through Lexington and Concord to warn the citizens that the British were coming. If my math is correct, that’s 148 years ago. I think that many people forget that Paul Revere didn’t actually finish that ride because he got stopped along the way by the British. However, William Dawes who was his fellow rider, escaped the British and finish the ride on into Concord. I know these things not because I’m a historian but because Ms. Kate and I lived on Hanscom Air Force Base and infect our house was maybe a half mile from where Paul Revere got stopped and the ride went through what is now part of the base. At one point we attended a Congregational (UCC) church that sat on the corner of the “Lexington Green” Commons where the “Shot heard around the world” was fired. One of the excellent benefits of a military career is that often we got stationed at some pretty historical and awesome places. It was wonderful for the kid’s education. Of course, we got stationed at a couple of places that were not so great too. But I wouldn't trade our way of life for anything. I can easily see how God worked his will all through our thirty two years of service. 

It is another beautiful morning. It is currently 64 degrees and going up to 75 today. It is going to be a great day to be outside and get some more work done. We got several of the “to do” items scratched off of the list yesterday but still haven’t gotten to the raised beds. I will get that done today come hell or high water. It’s bugging me. I may even go ahead and plant the tomatoes today. I think our probability of frost at this point is very low. I got the tree peony moved yesterday. I don’t think I hurt it any by moving it. It wasn’t out of the ground but maybe 15 minutes and was only moved about three feet. And, I took the contents of our kitchen compost bucket and put it in the bottom of the hole. That should give it a shot in the arm. I did the same thing for the new rose. LOL, I remember many years ago I was helping my dad plant a young tree and we had been fishing and had cleaned up a whole mess of fish to eat. So, we took all of the fish guts and stuff and put that in the hole that we were going to put the new tree in. It grew like crazy. 

Time for me to get busy. First I have to see if Ms. Kate want Belgian waffles for breakfast or not. I make good waffles and pancakes. I use Krusteze mix and have for years. Her other option is to get a box of Toaster Strudels out of the freezer and heat those up. Too bad the donut places aren’t across the street! LOL. 

Have a blessed day. Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment