Tuesday, May 31, 2022

 Good morning and welcome to the last day of May 2022. In just 30 days, the year will be half over. But, let’s not wish it away just yet. I have a lot of things to do yet in 2022. 

How was your Memorial Day weekend? Ms. Kate and I had a good one. The weather was perfect and enjoyable, and this morning looks to be a repeat with a high of maybe 90 degrees. I just walked out to the gardens and they are sufficiently dried out that I can get in there and maybe get the weeds out. It has been entirely too muddy to even think about it. I have to try it today because we are looking at maybe having rain tomorrow and Thursday. Hopefully it won’t amount to any more than showers. 

I spent a lot of time out in the yard or Saturday mowing and weeding and trimming. There is a section of my yard on the north side of the house that had had a bunch of tree sapling grow and get big so I managed to get those all cleaned out. That area grows no grass but it sure grows a lot of ground cover vines so I took the weed eater and cleaned that out. I don’t know where all of the darned vines have come from that grow around here. If I don’t work at it, this place will be nothing but vines. I haven’t found a good weed killer to put on them and maybe I shouldn’t use that anyway. I suspect that there may be all kinds of beneficial bugs and things that rely on that habitat. And I’m not crazy about adding a lot of chemical to the soil. BUt, I did go get some “grub-ex” to put down to kill the grub worms. I may have already told you that. 

Sunday we had \pretty good attendance at the churches considering it was a holiday weekend that folks like to take off and go camping etc. After church, Kate and I went up to her sister’s house and visited for a bit and then went to a new restaurant in town called “Bubba’s”. The food was good, the service was good, but the place was like any sports bar —- too loud. Music was gping loud and that makes the customers talk louder. The several TV screens were showing a number of sporting events and fans were yelling and cheering. So, we may go back but will choose a quieter time like a mid-week late lunch period. 

Yesterday was a day filled with patriotism. We started at St. Lucas cemetery and had a good crowd there for the dedication of the new flag pole and flag. The two 90 year old veterans that I had raise the flag were very pleased at their part in the ceremony. Then at 0930 the local VFW showed up and did their 21 gun salute to our fallen comrades. From there, —  Kate and I followed them up to St. Paul’s cemetery where they did the same thing for the veterans buried in that cemetery. The folks from our two churches really turn out for those ceremonies. Finally at 1500 hours I went out on my front porch and played Taps on my trumpet in support of Taps across America. Neighbor Dan had his family out front fo hear it and stand at attention. Dan is a retired Army Command Sgt. Major. 

That catches you up of my Memorial Day weekend. I pray your was filled with good thoughts and prayers for a nation at peace. Have a good week. Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment