Thursday, May 19, 2022

 It’s Thursday morning and we are actually making our way through the week. It has been busy, busy, busy. Today will be no exception. The day is going to be a long one again concluding with a funeral visitation. But it’s all part of the job. Tomorrow we have a funeral and then later a wedding rehearsal. How’s that for the two ends of the spectrum. One person’s life come to an end and yet another couple are ready to begin a new life together. I love how God keeps it all in balance. 

I had a good day yesterday. It was visitation day and I took Holy Communion to some parishioners. I really enjoy my visitation days most of the time. However, there are times that I visit a person and they are asleep or they have been having a bad day and do nothing but complain about everything in their life. Frankly I hope I never reach a point where I have to leave my home and be in a nursing home. I’m not talking about a senior living place. My mother was in one of those and had an apartment. She was free to go and do but the place served two meals a day and it provided a safe place in case she would fall or some thing. BUt, once she had to go to the assisted living portion it was different. I look at the folks I visit and they can’t just go get a cup of coffee or a snack. They really can’t sleep in, so to speak because the meals are served at a certain time, and then they don’t have much to do except sit in their recliners and wait for the next meal. I know most nursing homes do have some activities but far too many of the residents have reached a point in their life where they just sit and stare and that’s very depressing. I’ve had parishioners that tell me they really want to die but God just won’t let it happen. Others tell me they really hope they die before they lose their mind to dementia and or Alzheimer’s. Unfortunately many don’t get their wish and each and every day must be scary because they don’t know who they are or their family is. Every experience is a new experience every tike they do it. When I see that, I’m reminded of the Drew Barrymore film, “100 First Dates” —— Well, that conversation got depressing really quick, didn’t it. 

The sun is shining and it is going to be a hot one today with a possibility of storms coming in later this evening. Hopefully it will be nothing strong. I think it is going to be close to 90 today.and the humidity is back. Sounds like a great shade-tree and lemonade day doesn’t it?

Time ti get on the road so I’ll jump off. I doubt I’ll see you tomorrow. So have a great day. Peace. 











No comments:

Post a Comment