Tuesday, March 14, 2017

I don't think that robin could possibly puff itself up anymore than it has. He has almost made himself a round ball as he sits out there on the branch of the Pussy Willow tree. I know it is thirty degrees outside and all of my guests have themselves puffed up to keep warm. God certainly built in some intricate mechanisms for our bird friends to keep warm. Back when man was living in caves we were a lot hairier species too designed to keep us from freezing to death.

We have one more week of winter and Mother Nature is certainly taking advantage of it. We officially had .7 inches of snow which is next to nothing and it was gone by afternoon. But the bottom has dropped out of the thermometer and we had a hard freeze last night and will again tonight and possibly again Wednesday night. The poor daffodils are all hanging their heads as if they have just given up or maybe they are praying for some warmth. But, daffodils are hardy and they may in fact bounce back come Thursday when it is supposed to warm up. The east coast of the country is under blizzard conditions and my grandson Josh is expecting from 12 - 18 inches of snow. The whole northeastern region is basically paralyzed. So, I offer up prayers that they are all safe and can find a warm place to be. I can't help but think of the homeless people that we have often seen lining the streets in places like Washington DC. Locally, the white flag is out at the shelters which indicates that regardless of who you are, come in and get out of the cold.

Ms. Kate and I need to get out to the grocery store today. I know she wants to make a pot of vegetable soup so we need to go get the ingredients. We also need some other stuff so I reckon we better bundle ourself up and go do a little shopping. Plus we are out of some basics like milk and bread. I'm a late night cereal eater and I can't do that without milk. Well, I guess you could put water on it but doesn't that sound horrible??

I see some empty feeders out there so I reckon I'll need to do something about that too. So far this morning it has just been the birds that are here. The squirrels are not yet to be seen. I've mostly had cardinals although a few finches and a wren or two have been here. Mr. Robin  is darting all of the years snatching up something. While we are out, I need to pick up a couple of the smaller seed cylinders.

The sun has finally come out and is shining brightly. It makes the day look warmer, even if it isn't. I guess I better vacate my chair and get busy taking care of today's business. I urge you to take the time today to give God thanks for your blessings and to also pray for the millions of folks in the path of these winter storms. May the presence of the Holy Spirit bring peace to your life today. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment