Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The red, orange, and yellow of the leaves in the neighbor's yards look beautiful even in the rain this morning. Our's --- not so much, as most of our poplar leaves are down now and they are never really a pretty fall color any way. I thought most of my bird friends would be seeking shelter this morning but they appear to be hungrier than ever. I've had a couple of cardinals so far but lots and lots of the small birds such as finches, wrens, titmouse and nut hatch. There will be more cardinals in another forty five minutes or so. It is still a bit early for them. I'm hearing some kind of bird out there with a totally unrecognizeable call. I'm hoping it will fly in so I can identify it.

We are supposed to have rain, heavy at times until tomorrow. Forecasters are saying two to three inches for parts of the area. So, it is going to be a dreary fall day around here. The temperature is currently 53 degrees and won't go above 70 degrees today. Frankly, it is a good morning to pull my chair blanket up over me and take a snooze. I was up earlier than usual this morning for no known reason, so a nap could happen.

It is also a good day to spend writing. I'm half way through the sermon that I'm writing and I'm stuck. So, I could maybe work on writing the narrative for the cantata; (I wrote the small parts for the children last night), or I could start on a different sermon. I also need to practice my trumpet number that I'm working on. I have two and a half weeks to have that ready. I'll be playing it for the prelude at my St. Lucas service on the 15th of November. So, --- rain oor no rain, there is always something to be done.

One of the benefits of this rain is that I have a volunteer poplar tree out front in a flower bed that I want to transplant to a different location in my front yard. This rain will help to loosen the soil so I can dig it out. The location we have picked out for it will provide nice shade for the front yard in a few years. When we bought this place back in 2001, we had a really nice Black Gum tree in the front yard. It provided good shade and the leaves were beautiful in the fall. But they are a tree that just keeps on giving. They give those little gumballs by the thousands to trip over and step on. They give lots of leaves to rake, and those gumballs contain seeds that sprout into hundreds of more little sapplings that I'm still trying to get rid of even though I cut that tree down ten years ago. Now there is a nice raised flower bed where that tree used to be. That little poplar is about three and a half feet tall. In ten years it will be easily twenty five feet tall.

It is raining a little harder now. The small birds have all gone and the cardinals are pretty much have the place to themselves with the exception of old Mr. Fuss-a-lot, the bluejay. The cardinals are hiding in and out of the fire bushes for cover. They fly to a feeder, get a seed or two and fly back to cover. They brighten an otherwise gloomy morning. So, I give God thanks for my cardinals this morning and thanks for the rain that will loosen the soil so I can dig my tree up in a few days. Finding the joy in the little things and recognizing them as blessings in my life is what it is all about as far as I am concerned. We sing a hymn at church  called "God Will Take Care of You". And God certainly does take care of us. My prayer today is also that God will take caare of Julie as she heads to Ohio for her meeting in this rain. And, I pray your day will be full of love and peace. Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment