Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The chores of yesterday: finish up mother's apartment, --- check! Weed whack around flower beds and drive, --- check! Haul three loads of stuff from apartment to my house and storage unit, --- check! Take Ms. Kate out for a great prime rib dinner, --- check! Get our first good night's sleep in three weeks, --- check and check again! We came home from dinner and I think we both snoozed through most of our evening television watching and still got a full night's sleep. We each began stirring around 0630 this morning but refused to get up for another hour. Life looks normal this morning.

Speaking of morning; I hope you are having a good one. It is a windy 50° this morning and the sun has not yet broken through the clouds. I went out first thing and filled the bark butter feeders so the woodpeckers will have something fresh. In a bit, I will fill up the other seventeen feeders. I suppose there will be little birdie and squirrel happy dances all over the place. Then it will be time to fire up the lawn mowers and make the yard presentable again. I also need to go buy another 100 lbs of black oil sunflower seed. The can is just about empty. That should pretty well take care of my morning. This afternoon it will be taking communion to a parishioner, then going to the churches and running the week's bulletins, and then going to choir practice. All in all, yeh, it will be a busy day.

I continue to be awed at how beautiful this spring has been with all of the blooming flowers and trees. Our area and our city of Evansville really is a beautiful place although we don't advertise it much. Between the pink and the white dogwoods, the redbud trees, the azaelias and rhodadendrums that are blooming just everywhere, it is hard to find an ugly spot. And for the most part, people take a lot of pride in their yards and flowers. This is a nice place to live and I'm glad we settled back here after our three and a half decades of wandering. Although, --- I still don't like snow except that I get to play on my little John Deere in it.

There is a brilliantly yellow goldfinch sitting out here beside an equally brilliantly red cardinal. The contrast is cool. The sun has broken through the clouds now and it is blue skies overhead. God has flipped the heavenly light switch and the whole place is aglow with color. It makes me anxious to get out and get busy but on the other hand, I'm not done with my coffee or my morning conversation with the Lord just yet.

Today would be a good day to stop what you are doing and give thanks for your blessings, and then do something for someone else. I intend to do just that and I hope you will to. Kindness and love are the two cheapest things in the universe because God freely gives them to you. Share what God gives you today and reward yourself by having a blessed day too.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part of today's entry is that you and Mama really rested and got a good night's sleep. XO

    ReplyDelete