Monday, April 6, 2015

Is there a nice way to say that you're sitting and watching and waiting for someone to die? I am, along with Ms. Kate, currently sitting in my mother's hospital room basically doing just that. She was brought in last Wednesday, having suffered a stroke. She has not spoken except for a few words since she got here. The first night while in the emergency room she spoke my name several times followed by a long mixture of mumbling because I wouldn't let her get out of bed. Since then she has been totally un- responsive.  Her doctor says she could last a couple of weeks like this as her body completes shutting down. And so, --- we sit, we wait, and we watch; --- the conversations having long run dry.

Times like this can either bring a family closer or they can rip entire families apart. I have it go both ways far to many times. Emotions run raw and easily bleed. It a tough time. And yet, every family on the planet goes through it. Is it possible that dying and dealing with the death is the only common denominator for all of humanity?

We are in for a week of rain and storms, or so it is predicted. I hope not because that too affects a person's mood. A bright sunny day would be welcome and I miss my birds and backyard critters.

There have been several people that have come in to see my mother, each singing her praises and declaring how much they loved her and how special she was to them. I suspect none of us truly recognize or realize the impact we have on other people's lives. And maybe in truth, we never fully realize the impact they make on our lives. We often simply take them for granted knowing they will probably be there if we need something.

I offer up prayers for a parishioner who lost her sister within the last couple of days. I feel bad because she wanted me to do her sister's funeral but I'm not in a position to take that on at the moment.  I hate to turn folks down when they need my help.

I give God thanks that we had three very wonderful Easter services yesterday. The weather perfect, the congregations were full, and the choir offered up a beautiful cantata at the Sunrise Service. It was a morning full of God's love.

My writing is no doubt going to be sporadic for a bit, --- just hang in there and start your every day with happy thoughts and a word or two with the Lord. If my name happenes to come up during those conversations, that would be good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment