Thursday, January 15, 2015

Twenty-nine and cloudy this morning as I sit myself down in my sunporch chair. South of us in Kentucky they are having a bit of snow to start their day. Better them than us, I say. The cardinals, junkos, sparrows, gold finches, and starlings are all here for breakfast. Those silly starlings practically emptied my bird bath twice yesterday with their bathing. At one point there were four starlings and two sparrows in the water and all of them flapping and flipping their wings, splashing water everywhere. It was entertaining to watch. I need to add water to it again this morning.

Well, I made my list and checked it twice, but didn't find out who was naughty or nice. I got my visitation done yesterday, as well as my bulletins run and the church prepped for Sunday. Choir practice was a bust as only four of us showed up for what ever reason. It was cold and damp last evening so I guess folks just didn't want to come out. But, between us, we got a song picked out for the next time we sing and we got an Easter Cantata picked out. We sang this particular cantata two or three years ago and it went well. Easter is only about ninety days away which will go faster than we think it will.

I'm watching a squirrel just outside the porch window that is deterined to get sunflower seed out of this one specific cylinder feeder. I have that feeder dangling on a hook just far enough away from the branch to make it hard work for the squirrels to reach. The gyrations and stretching that that squirrel has to go through to get one seed at a time is phenominal; and yet, he does it. He has been literally hanging by the toe nails on his back feet and stretching horizonally over to the feeders to pull the feeder to him just enough to get a seed out. Then he let's go of the feeder and pulls himself back up on the branch to eat that seed, then the routine starts all over again. The body strength and muscle tone of these creatures is amazing. It's worth putting the feeders out there just to watch that. But then, consider what an ant can carry for long distances. God sure does amazing work.

My prayers go out as prayers of gratitude this morning. As I sit here with my lap-robe across my legs, a warm cup of coffee sitting by my side, and Ms. Kate sleeping peacefully in the next room, I can't help but be grateful to God for the life I am living. There is peace all around me, (despite the crackling of the starlings fussing at one another) and there is peace within my heart and soul. I know that the peace that I feel comes from the warmth of the love of God. This is the peace that I try to share with my parishioners through the ministry that God allows me to do. I know life can be hectic;--- our lives are hectic at times. But I have found that if I simply take the time to stop everything I am doing and open my mind to God's will; --- God's grace and love will simply pour over and through me. Take time today and experience the peace that God offers. Help yourself to a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment