Thursday, January 8, 2015

Good morning on this bitterly cold 3° morning. It is a bit overcast this morning which means that no heat from the sun is going to get through. I have lots of backyard company this morning. One of my first customers was a squirrel who ran straight from the tree and on to the bird bath. He sat there for awhile drinking and having his front paws in the warm water.

The feeders are indeed popular this morning. Mostly I have finches and cardinals  with a couple of starlings and a woodpecker or two thrown in for good measure. The bird bath was literally ringed with cardinals at one point this morning. I guess it is a good thing I filled it for them. It is cold enough out there that I can see steam rising from the water. The birds keep coming in and sitting on the edge. I suspect they are warming themselves a bit off of that steam.

I have three starlings out there this morning that are trying to eat from the bark butter feeders. The problem they have is that they aren't very adapt at "clinging" to a vertical surface which is what it takes to successfully eat from those feeders. So, they are expending enormous amounts of energy flapping their wing to stay aloft and peck some of the butter paste that is on those feeders. They remind me of a lot of people that I have known over the years; people who aren't really suited for the job they are trying to do and expend far too much energy and eventually just wear themselves out.

I think we are going to have a relatively quiet day around here today. With the exception of a couple of end tables, we are done moving furniture around. The new curio cabinet was delivered yesterday morning and Ms. Kate has all of her beautiful glassware washed and put away. We did visitation yesterday with Aunt Aleen and my mother. The bulletins have been run and the churches are ready for Sunday services. I think the only thing on my agenda is to (brrrr) go get a haircut and pick up some flourescent bulbs for ceiling lights in my office downstairs. I may just take some time and read a little of the Stephen King novel that I'm currently working on.

As I look around the yard this morning I must of course give thanks for yet another day of living and for the peace that surrounds me. I look at all of my birds that are out there and if I have done nothing this morning except help take care of some of God's creatures, then I have started my day out right. I don't think that God expects grandious gestures from us nearly as much as God expects us to care for one another and to care for his creation. I pray your day will be filled with at least as much joy as I have alreay experienced this morning. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment