Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Task number one this morning was to fill seventeen birdfeeders. I had held off until everything was gone from them either by the birds or the squirrels. I was barely finished before the cardinals started flying in. I had heard them cheeping in the trees above me. I swear though, that the squirrels can see a newly filled feeder from five hundred yards away. They come in like rats drawn to a garbage can. The thing about watching them though, is that their movements are so animated and quick; not to mention thay are arguably the greatest contortionists on the planet out side of a snake.

Task two then was to nuke my cup of coffee that Ms. Kate poured for me while I was taking my shower. Needless to say it got a bit cold while I was filling the feeders. But, it wouldn't have been very entertaining to sit here in the sunporch with none of my creatures out there because of empty feeders. So now, I have three squirrels and more birds than I can count out there enjoying their bounty.

I'm seeing a larger variety of birds today than I have in quite awhile. The titmouse duo is here, Mr. Fuss a lot, the blue jay, is here, the junkos are here, a mockingbird, and even a robin or two are here. People used to say that early robins were a sign of an early spring; but I think these guys are just lost. They must have taken a wrong turn at Dallas or something because there is no early spring coming, although we are supposed to get up to forty degrees some time this week.

I started workng on my sermon for Sunday after next, last evening, but I got totally distracted by the National College Championship football game. I very seldom watch college sports, or sports of any kind. I like to watch USC play football for absolutely no known reason. But last nights game was fun to watch and it was good to see the underdog team win. But, that also means that I need to get my self down to my office and get started on my writing again today. It is hard to believe that I'm already working on a sermon for the last Sunday in January.

Ms. Kate and Karen have a meeting with Hospice today regarding Aunt Aleen. So, I'm offering up prayers for all concerned. The situation and concern for her is following a very familiar pattern for the family. Initially there is overwhelming worry and concern, but after the first month, --- that turns into worn out and concerned which often leads to feelings of guilt for feeling worn out. Often family members silently tell themselves that it really would be okay if their loved one could just pass away so they wouldn't have to continue to lay there or sit there in misery. Then they feel even more guilty for thinking those thoughts. So, this then becomes the time when prayer becomes critical. God understands our hearts and God gives us the strength we need when we need it. If you are in a situation where you are going or have gone through this; know you are not alone. We've all been there; but --- God was always there too.

Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment