Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Corinthian Chimes sing a continuous mellow song this morning in a brisk cold wind. It is currently 12° out there with a nine mile per hour wind which gives us a -11° wind chill. The birds are flocking to the feeders this morning to gobble up some energy. The electric bird bath is also a popular place as it is the only source of unfrozen water around. I need to refill it this morning. Even a squirrel was up on it for a few minutes a little bit ago. There is a skiff of fluffy snow on the roof tops and sidewalks this morning too. Winter is in full force this week and it is about time it arrived. One hundred miles north of us winter is wreaking havoc, so I will give God thanks that this is the worst we have.

The squirrels are having their issues this morning. The metal poles that are holding the bird feeders and the slick surfaces of the feeders themselves must feel extremely uncomfortable to their paws. They are having a hard time climbing the poles and finding footing on the bird feeders. Ah well, it sucks to be a squirrel this morning.

I have lots of cardinals this morning. They and all of the birds are puffed up and look twice their actual size. I've also had several woodpeckers this morning. I filled all of the feeders yesterday in anticipation of this frigid weather. It is supposed to last the remainder of the week.

Unfortunately, we need to get out in this cold and wind today. I need to go to the churches and take care of business and Ms. Kate needs to go out and sit with her aunt Aleen for a while today. Her aunt looks forward to Kathy's visits because Kathy will comb her hair, wash her face, and put lotion on her hands and arms. Other people do the same things too but Aleen always says, "My sweet Kathy; she washes my face." So of course, Ms. Kate feels guilty if she misses a day.

When my grandson Matthew was up here Saturday, he was looking at our backyard and made comment as to how bare it all looks in the winter. He's absolutely right. Nothing is growing or in bloom. The ground is a winter brown, there are no leaves on the trees with the exception of the holly trees and the pines. But, I also know that within about eight weeks, we will start to see the daffodils and hyacinths start popping their heads through the ground. I can also already realize that I have a lot of raking and yard clean up to do. I must remind myself to do that on the next 50° non rainy day. In the meantime, I will just enjoy what God sends us and count my blessings that I am alive to enjoy it all. Stop whatever you are doing today and sit quietly for five minutes and give thanks for your blessings. Five minutes of doing nothing but being alone with God. Regardless of how the rest of your day goes, it will be the best five minutes of your day and will improve your whole spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment