Saturday, July 26, 2014

It sure is brighht and blue out there considering that the prediction was for thunderstorms today. But the humidity is high and the temperature is going to above 90° today, --- so we could get some thunderboomers later today. I would welcome a bit of rain. Otherwise, I will have to water stuff again this evening.

I had to fill the Finch feeder first thing this morning. The little flying pigs emptied it in a day and a half. I have three feeders for thistle seed out there but there is one that is a favorite and they will always empty it first. It is a two inch round mesh cylinder that is maybe eight inches tall. It is not unusual to see a dozen Sparrows, or Finches  on it at a time, fluttering  and twittering for a place at the table. It would be hard to guess which of my feeders I fill the most frequently. I have one feeder that is for "meal worms". They are little dried worms about an inch long and they stink. They are also expensive. A gallon bucket of them costs about $50.00. Needless to say, I don't buy those very often. I can get 100 lbs of blackoil sunflower seed for that. So, I just put some other kind of food in there...

The black-eyed susans are starting to bloom now and that will give the Finches somewhere else to eat. We planted some seed for those things several years ago and I have been fighting them ever since. They are a very invasive plant and will take over a flowerbed if not kept under control. But the birds like them so we continue to let some grow. Besides, I do like the looks of them. So many of our flowerbeds are filled with what many would maybe call "wild flowers", but we love the looks of it all.

It has been a goood week, full of God's blessings. I need to run down to the hardware store and pick up a couple of things for a little project I'm working on. Other than that my day is free. Oh, there are a bizillion weeds out there that need pulling, but I think not today. It is my "day off".

Tomorrow is Sunday and it will be a busy one. We are doing a baptism during the worship service, and I love doing infant baptisms. Some friends from my home church are bringing my mother up to our worship service and then we will all go out for brunch together. I have both a 5:00 and a 6:30 meeting tomorrow afternoon, so, I might as well stay at the church and run the bulletins for the next Sunday. Sundays for pastors are not a day of rest. I reckon the same can be said for lots of career fields.

Hug the people you love today. Life is too short and unpredictable to miss an oppportunity to say "I love you". Smile at a stranger. You just might be the first bright spot in their whole day. That makes you one of God's blessings for someone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment