Monday, July 14, 2014

A cloudy morning greets me as I bring my coffee out to the sun porch today. We had a lot of rain and thunder-boomers during the night. I went and checked the rain guage and there was a fresh three inches of rain water in it. I notice that the bird baths are all complletely full too which is always an indication that we had a good rain. The forecast calls for more storms today. Hopfully we won't get another three inches of rain.

The Robins enjoy a heavy rain like we had. It washes the earthworm up closer to the surface of the earth and today they are having a feast as they busily hop around the yard. Today I have a good dozen Goldfinches out there too. But, I'm out of thistle seed, which is their favorite, so they willl have to make do. Lord knows there is enough on the ground to last them until I get more.

I need to put together a funeral today. The father of one of my parishioners passed away yesterday morning early. He was 86 years old.  I never met the man but I am honored that my parihioner trusts me enough to ask me to bury his father who he loved very much.

This is a big week for me. This coming Sunday I will celebrate my 70th birthday. That just seems strange to me. I always thought of seventy as being "old". But achieving that age can certainly redefine what "old" means. Oh, I know I am slower than I used to be and I can't begin to do many of the things that I could do ten, fifteen, or twenty years ago; but much of that fault has nothing to do with my age. I've simply become far less active, (alright, --- lazier) than I used to be and have gotten out of shape. The thought comes to mind that I can still hear my Grandma say; "But I still got my own teeth!" And, at seventy, my grandma could bend right over and lay her palms flat on the floor, which I have never been able to do.

The sun has come out and is making the damp flowers glisten. It is a beautiful sight. I think it might also be God's cue to take my empty coffee cup out to the kitchen and get started with my day's work. But, I can't go without giving God praise and thanks for this wonderful life with which I have been blessed. I thank God for all those beautiful flowers out there in the yard and those delicious vegetables that I must go harvest from my small garden later today. I thank God for Ms. Kate and the rest of my family. I pray for days and years of peace for my loved ones who are ill. May each of their days be the best day they have ever had, and may they take the time to recognize it. Christ Jesus stands in front of us today with open arms. Take time today to step forward and give the Son of God a big ol' hug. The reward will be simply overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment