Monday, July 21, 2014

66° going to 89° today; hello July! Where were you last week? I can't say we missed you because we were really enjoying your replacement, "early fall".

Another week begins. This should be a busy one, or at least a week where we have something on the calendar every day. It is Vanderburgh County Fair week but I doubt we will go to that. Walking around in the heat to smell animals, look at kids 4-H projects, and eat fried food of some vatiety just doesn't hold the appeal that it did years ago. We have attended the Gibson County Fair for the past several years to support our church kids and their projects, but we don't know anyone involved in this fair anymore. Although, as kids, Ms. Kate and I both were involved in 4-H. But I don't think I ever got above a red ribbon on any project. I don't know if they even give red or white ribbons anymore. It might hurt their feelings or scar them for life by insinuating that they were not first in everything.

So today I go to the dentist with a bothersome tooth. Tomorrow I do a worship service for a local nursing home. Beyond that I don't know. Of course there is always another sermon to write, and a variety of things to do there. The problem is --- I'm on the last third of a Stephen King novel. It is always at that point that I don't want to put one of his novels down. I love to read but I am not a fast reader. So,  I must make time to read this book and make sure my main charaters make it through safely. King doesn't always let them live and it honks me off when he let's some child of the story die like he did in The Mist, and Cujo!

I need to fill the bird baths and water the the garden today too. We haven't had rain for a few days and none is predicted. So, if I want garden production and happy birds I better take care of both.

I had a great birthday although we did spend almost all of it at church. Yesterday was the second of our summer congregational meetings. Yesterday afternoon was the annual summer gathering and meal at St. Paul's. So, I conducted the morning worship, then we had the meeting. After that we went out for a great lunch at our favorite restaurant then back to the church. We ran the bulletins for next week's service and Ms. Kate got her food ready for the carry in meal. But it was a good day of friends and fellowship. I had lots of well wishes for my birthday through social media and phone calls. It just reinforced the fact that I am indeed a blessed man. For that and more, I give God praise and prayers of gratitude this morning.

We all have a brand new week to make difference in our world and in the lives of those around us. Reach out and take the hand of Jesus; he will walk you through it. Have a wonderful day.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget Pet Cemetary! Gage Creed is the "best creepy kid" out there.

    ReplyDelete