Friday, July 4, 2014

Happy Birthday America!! What a great place to live. I'm looking out my hotel window from the Treasure Island Hotel in Las Vegas and below me is the pool, thirty one floors below. The Las Vegas strip is fairly busy, but nothing compared to what it will be tonight or was last night. Last night was a stream of red lights four lanes wide creeping along going south on Las Vegas Blvd, and another stream of white lights going north. The DJ has the crowd in the pool already hopping and that went on last night until 10:30 or so. The point though that I think is important is that none of those people or us have to worry constantly about bombs going off and militant hoards gunning people down. We are a nation that enjoys our peace and our freedom. Certainly --- we all have complaints about how our government is run and all manner of other things; but we don't take to arms to change it. We use our voices and our votes. God bless the people who established this United States of America, and God bless those who have defended it all these years. I'm blessed to have been a part of the latter group for almost half of my life.

I'm not sure what we will be doing today other than hanging around here. The weather folks said that those of us with asthma problems and other breathing conditions should not be out today. It is hot and a bit dusty. It is that way everyday so I don't see the problem as being any different than yesterday. In fact, it is supposed to be cooler today and only get to about 106 or so. They were talking about the chance of rain for most of the week next week here and they are really needing rain. Las Vegas has only had three tenths of an inch of rain this year! As Julie says, we've had more moisture from humidity than that at home.

I heard from home that my parishioner that had the back surgery has vastly improved. I give God praise and thanks for that. But, I also continue to lift her up for continued healing. I also lift up the millions of people that are going to be out on the highways and lakes and other places as they rush to "have fun". I pray they can do it safely. My thoughts also go to my sister and brother-in-law as they celebrate this holiday with their families. I pray they can enjoy many, many more holidays together.

Tomorrow is our Julie's birthday. She is such a joy in our life. As she deals with her RA, I recall her desire to not be in a wheelchair at forty five. So --- with God's help, she has met and achieved her goal. I pray she never has to get to that point.

I hope you take the time today to thank God for your blessings and to stop for a moment to just appreciate the blessing of living in America. Ask yourself this ---- if this country is as bad as the "naysayers" claim it to be --- why do so many people from all walks of life and all cultures dream of living here. Go hug a fellow American today! We are all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment