Monday, May 30, 2016

Happy Memorial Day! ---- Is that even appropriate to say? I'm not sure. After all, the day is designed to honor those who have died to protect this nation and preserve its people. On the other hand we can be happy and joyful because we are living in a nation that continues to be free. So, I guess he appropriate thing to say is "May God bless you on this day in which we give thanks for the sacrifice of others who have preserved our freedom."

It is a beautiful day out there and I will be out side soon after I finish up my blog. We still have some flowers to put in planters and I need to get out there and spray some weed killer on poison ivy and poison oak. The wind is light so far today so I don't have to be too concerned about overspray killing flowers.

Our first hummingbird has arrived. I haven't seen it but once but we have the hummingbird feeder out so it will be back. It does have a few random flowers from which to gather what ever nectar it can. We generally don't have more than a couple of hummingbirds. Up at my St.Paul's church the people that rent the parsonage have maybe eight feeders out and they always have dozens of hummingbirds. The air is a blurr with them darting in and out. It is wonderful to watch.

Ms. Kate and I got a lot of work done on Saturday. We took out a half dozen old cheap roses and pulled a bunch of weeds in the garden area and planted our garden. We put in nine tomatoes, some cucumbers, squash, and okra, --- plus we put in some new flowers where we took out the roses. We don't need a big garden but fresh tomatoes & cucumber salads and BLT's are hard to beat in the summer. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Church attendance was very sparse yesterday and we owe it to the sunshine. Our farmers have had such a hard time getting out in the fields and they took good advantage of the sunshine while we had it. But, yet again yesterday evening we had another squall come through and dump a bunch of rain on us. I talked to my cousin Allen Saturday and he said that he has had to replant our corn because of the rain over in Illinois. That is not a good thing.

My hummingbird is back and so are some cardinals so I'm just going to sit here and enjoy what God gives me for a bit. Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment