Monday, November 24, 2014

The wind is blowing a steady 25 mph with gusts of up to 40 mph. It is all the birds can do to fly straight and hang on to the feeders. The squirrels aren't having much better luck. But then they also have to worry about these two pups that are standing at the doors. We've had several mad chases through the yard already this morning. It is quite entertaining to watch. We had a storm go through the area about 0530 this morning and the rain was torrential. I think most of that is supposed to be gone but the wind advisory will continue until tonight and the nice 65° temperature we had yesterday will be come a high of 35° by tomorrow. And, while we might grippe about the weather, we are so blessed to not have some of the weather that is playing out in the rest of the country. So, it is a day to count the blessings once again.

It is Thanksgiving week and Julie has the week off and is spending it with us. We had well attended services yesterday at each church and the congregations each decorated their sanctuary after the service. We stayed to help with the decorating at St. Lucas. The St. Paul's folks decorated while I was conducting the St. Lucas service.  The choir sang a nice number for the service yesterday. It was a Bill Gaither number called "Mansion Over the Hilltop". Last evening we went to my sister-in-law's house for a delicious turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Thursday she will come have Thanksgiving with us.

The wind we are having right now has completed the de-nuding of the trees and bushes. Yesterday the firebushes were almost totally in folage. Today there is hardly a leaf on them. I'm hoping the wind will also dry them out so they will be easier to clean up.

Today has to be a day of writing. I still don't have this coming Sunday's sermon done and I need to work on the service and sermon for the week after we get back from our vacation. I'm about twenty five percent done with this week's. I have a good theme for it but sometimes the development gets lost in translation. We are entering the Advent Season so of course the focus is on the coming of the Christ Child. And, while it is a marvelous story, telling it in a fresh way for four weeks in a row is a challenge for every pastor I suppose. However, I am so very thankful for the opportunity that God has given me to serve these congregations. So, I'll rely on God to provide the words and hope I interpret them correctly.

I also once again give thanks for my family and loved ones, and our faith family. They are such a blessing and the support I receive from them is overwhelmimg. It is a total validation of what I hope to be doing. I hope you have that kind of support in your family and friendship. I also pray you will have a most blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment