Monday, June 13, 2022

 I gues I better write a few words before the battery on my IPad dies. I’m down to 20%. 

Good morning on this already hot, hot, hot morning. The feels like temperature is already at 96 degrees and it is just 0930, It is going to be a miserable day and a day to stay off of a lawn mower or our of the garden. But, I do have out door stuff to do so I reckon it is time to just suck it up, but take it easy doing my stuff. The weather lady last night said the feels like temperature is supposed to go to 115 today and for the next couple of days. We are in record breaking territory with those temps. The last time we had temperatures like this was five years ago, 

We had a good weekend. We did go to Springfield , IL area for my nephew’s going away party. He actually leaves for boot camp this coming Sunday which is also Father’s Day. I suspect his Dad will be shedding a tear or two. The young man has sighted up for Airborne Infantry. I wish him good luck and a safe tour of duty. 

We stayed in a Holiday Inn over in Effingham, IL on Friday night. The had an “in-hotel” restuarant so we had supper there. They had deep-fried alligator on the menu so I thought I would try it since I’ve never eaten alligator before. At best, —- it was “okay”. I certainly won’t say “it tastes like chicken” because it isn’t even close to chicken. I found it to be a little bit greasy and a bit too chewy for me. But, I can now say I have tried it and when I watch “Swamp People” on the TV, I can identify with their product. Obviously a lot of people liked it; it just isn’t for me. Maybe if I had it cooked some other way —- it might be better. The waitress said it was their best selling Friday night item, but I think that is just because it is “different”. 

We had about 65 in church yesterday and that is great. We were in the “old church” and I love it when we get a crowd and they start singing because the ceiling is high and the sound reverberates off of it. It sounds beautiful. I’m liking these combined services that we do during the summer months, and folks from both churches stay around and fellowship a lot more. I wish they would come together and become one, but there are just too many obstacles in the way for that, too much attachment to each church, two cemeteries, and frankly the two churches have two different personalities. Each church has two sets of “founding families”, and merger would be tough. St. Paul’s has the Block Family and Michel family; and St. Lucas has the Graper family and Kruse family. Yes, there are some other sprinkled in there but that composes the majority of the members in one way or another. Rural church are by and large, family churches. 

I have to do visitation this week and we have Heather coming in from California for just one night and then Julie coming in for part of the weekend, for Father’s Day. And we have a bunch of other things that we need to take care of. So it is going to be a week of running around. 

Time to quit. Battery is down to 14% and I gotta get cleaned up and start my week. Have a blessed week, please take care of yourself in this oppressive heat. Peace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment